Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Rio Olympics: The South African Input (Chad Le Clos, James Thompson & others)

Email problem
    Thanks

Rio Olympics: The South African Input (Chad Le Clos, James Thompson & others)

Hey friends!

I don't know about you, but I am super excited to see our men and women participate in Rio. I also noticed that there wasn't really a thread on the topic and I thought we might want to have a place where anyone can leave their output on the games. Are you sad/mad about Le Clos??? I sure am!!!! Although Michael Phelps cannot be denied of his talent, I, along with all of South Africa,was rooting for our fellow citizen! Plus I think it's a bid rude of Phelps to admit it was revenge for the London games in 2012. Right? Let's hope our luck changes soon!

Email problem
    Thanks
    Just as a disclaimer, earning Silver is an amazing accomplishment and I am super proud of both Chad Le Clos and Cameron van der Burgh!

Thanks
    I don't think it was rude from him. If someone beat you at something it is always a great feeling to get one back at them. Lose gracefully and win with dignity.

Le Clos is not at his best at this games. His mind is not right, he just doesn't look focused. I know that it must be hard for him now that both his parent are battling cancer. He is only 24 and has at least 2 more olympics to go. He shot to fame in 2012 and my opinion is that it went to his head a bit, thinking he is unbeatable in butterfly. Everybody has a routine before an event, but Chad took it a bit too far when he put on his show in front of Phelps, just gave him that bit of motivation to put Chad in his place.

It's back to the drawing board for him, but I am confident that he will come out stronger and faster.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Hey Werner, I see your point about winning with dignity. You are right!! Although Chad is young and "impressionable" (and he probably did get carried away since 2012) I still think he did a pretty good job considering his age and everything! On another note, are you looking forward to the football game with Iraq? Do you expect any surprises from either side?

Thanks
    For sure, just to get to the olympics is a great achievement. Even not being in top form (my opinion) and winning a silver in an event that is not his strongest is brilliant.

I am not 100% clued up on soccer, but I am sure we can take and will them. The first for games in our pool only managed 1 goal (all relatively evenly matched?). We just need to hold thumbs that Denmark do not lose their game.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    There's little doubt Michael Phelps is a class act. Chad will do well to absorb the lessons of the last 24 hours.

On SA prospects, quite interesting that we might get more medals out of the track events than in the pool this time around. That's quite a change.

7. Thanks given for this post:

Thato89 (11-Aug-16)

Thanks
    Yes, we have a strong presence there. It won't be easy, there are tough competition in all our events. Chad still needs to do the 100m butterfly, he started strong in the 200m but lost ground (or water) on the last 50m.

Currently we have 2 silver, the same as in 2012. We still need 3 gold and one bronze to equal 2012.

Thanks
    Just an opinion though, it seems that all around, the contestants are less focussed this year. I was watching the womens team gymnastics, and the beam was very troublesome. Nonetheless still awesome to watch. Love having this major influx of sports on TV.

The Boxing has been particularly interesting, since the headgear has been removed.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am looking forward to the Men's 100m.
    We have a realistic medal chance.

How awesome to watch the most exciting event with a SA prospect.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Yeah, that kid motors down the straights!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast