Results 1 to 6 of 6

Thread: Gas hob installation and SANS10142-1 compliance

  1. #1
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Westrand
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Gas hob installation and SANS10142-1 compliance

    I ran into this a few times now. I do many Electrical Coc's and often find a gas hob supply cable directly connected to the original stove supply. The gas hob supply of cause a flexible cable of I guess 1-1.5mm sqr.

    Yesterday a friend phone me for advice. He was busy renovating at a house and the original electrical hob was been replaced by a gas unit. When he queried the installer about the connections the guy told him that in order for the gas installation to be compliant the isolator may not be within 200mm above the hob and must also be 200mm to the side. So to fix the problem they simply remove the isolator, twist the wires together and blank it off. It is normal practice according to the gas installer.

    So, in one swoop they break 3 SANS10142-1 regulations.
    No isolator for fixed appliance, oven usually is still electrical.
    Connecting hob flexible 1.5mm sqr directly to 4mm sqr wire on 40A CB, also no isolator
    And wires simply twisted together.

    Anyone else came across something like this?

    Posted with my Samsung Mobile Device

  2. #2
    Platinum Member SilverNodashi's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Location
    Johannesburg, South Africa
    Posts
    1,172
    Thanks
    11
    Thanked 188 Times in 136 Posts
    /subscribing as I'd like to know the answer as well.

  3. #3
    New Member
    Join Date
    May 2016
    Location
    Dirban
    Posts
    4
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Leaving this here to see the replies

    Sent from my SM-G920F using Tapatalk

  4. #4
    Diamond Member AndyD's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    4,403
    Thanks
    513
    Thanked 854 Times in 687 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Lourens.dL View Post
    I ran into this a few times now. I do many Electrical Coc's and often find a gas hob supply cable directly connected to the original stove supply. The gas hob supply of cause a flexible cable of I guess 1-1.5mm sqr.
    I wouldn't see a problem with this if the circuit breaker size was reduced accordingly so disconnect times would be met in the case of a fault. It effectively makes the gas hob a fixed appliance like a geyser in the eyes of the electrical regs.

    Quote Originally Posted by Lourens.dL View Post
    ........When he queried the installer about the connections the guy told him that in order for the gas installation to be compliant the isolator may not be within 200mm above the hob and must also be 200mm to the side. So to fix the problem they simply remove the isolator, twist the wires together and blank it off. It is normal practice according to the gas installer.

    So, in one swoop they break 3 SANS10142-1 regulations.
    No isolator for fixed appliance, oven usually is still electrical. Agreed, removing the isolator and replacing it with a permanent joint would be non-compliant.
    Connecting hob flexible 1.5mm sqr directly to 4mm sqr wire on 40A CB, What particular regulation do you have in mind that would forbid this?also no isolator
    And wires simply twisted together. I'm assuming they're using a choc block type connector or are they leaving bare wires just twisted?

    Anyone else came across something like this?

    Posted with my Samsung Mobile Device
    See comments and questions in red.
    Last edited by AndyD; 09-May-16 at 09:35 PM. Reason: fixed attrocious spelling
    _______________________________________________
    I am special and so is Vanash.
    _______________________________________________

  5. #5
    New Member
    Join Date
    Apr 2014
    Location
    Westrand
    Posts
    6
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I wouldn't see a problem with this if the circuit breaker size was reduced accordingly so disconnect times would be met in the case of a fault. It effectively makes the gas hob a fixed appliance like a geyser in the eyes of the electrical regs.
    As I said, 40A CB was not changed and Isolator removed. Oven still on same circuit.

    Also, having a 40A CB on 1.5mm˛ conductor is illegal. You can look up the reg. CB should protect current carrying capacity of thinnest conductor.

    Your assumption is in error. As I have written, wires were simply twisted together and taped.

  6. #6
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,979
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    And we have someone working on an electrical installation while not under the supervision of a registered person...
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

Similar Threads

  1. NEW SANS10142 part 1 + NEW COC + NEW REGULATIONS REGARDING SOLAR
    By DieterT in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 31-Mar-17, 08:26 AM
  2. Compliance question..!
    By christopher john in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 04-Nov-13, 06:56 AM
  3. certificate of compliance again...
    By murdock in forum Electrical Contracting Industry Forum
    Replies: 4
    Last Post: 15-Jul-10, 09:30 AM
  4. Blitz on EE compliance.
    By Dave A in forum General Regulatory Compliance Forum
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 06-Aug-06, 08:19 AM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •