Thread: Pastel from scratch

Thanks

Question Pastel from scratch

Hi everyone,

I am in need of assistance with regards to the following.

I am a recent B.com management accounting graduate and I am working for this start-up manufacturing company (Cold asphalt) and the company has just recently purchased Pastel Software.
    I did pastel partner V14 training last year and got the certificate, but I fear that I may not be well equiped to start the set of books from scratch with 100% precision.

My worries lie especially with:

1. Opening balances (Bank account) - How do I enter opening balance?. Our financial year started on the 1st of March 2016.

2. Customer and suppliers accounts. - According to what I learned in training, opening a customer account is as easy as just going to "Edit, Customers, accounts..." But when I follow this process, guided by my study material from last year, A message saying I must create a customer "Main account" pops-up. What type of account should this be (Accounts receivable)? And what about Cash customers?... I have already created 3 three customer categories. My concern is this customers main account.

3. Bill of material - We use three different direct materials. I have all the measurements required for one mix that yields thirteen 25kg bags of finished product. Additionally, I have to include the cost of plastic wrap (used to wrap a pallet of 40 bags), cost of that pallet, transport costs to collect material, and other overheads. I am not sure how to go about doing this. The bill of material was not included in my training package.

4.Open item or balance forward - Which is the best to use.

5. I do not want to make mistakes when it comes to taxes. I need to know which are the important areas to tick/untick when it comes to tax. We are registered VAT vendors.

I would appreciate any assistance with these issues from anyone. Thanks in advance.

Thanks
    Hi there. Not sure if I can answer everything 100% but here's my 2 cents.... Take a look at the pastel help function- has a great step-by-step for loading opening balances. When opening a new company, easiest to select generic set of GL accounts. This will eliminate your problem with not having a "main account". You then simply enter the opening balances as a journal (i.e. capture the last trial if there is one- journal will balance out). Put customer & suppliers to a 9000 take on account and then do relevant customer & supplier journals for their take on balances. With regards to open Item versus balance brought forward, I think it depends hugely on what sort of debtor control and clients you have- if a lot of cash accounts I would definitely use open item so it's easier to reconcile. Have a look at the pastel website as well- if you log in to the customer zone there are hundreds of tutorials (google search them as well). Good luck!

Thanks

Red face

Thank you very much for your efforts to help me. I'll surely put your input to good use.