Thread: Domestic Fridge Energy Consumption.

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Domestic Fridge Energy Consumption.

I recently got around to repairing a domestic fridge that’s been kicking around in my workshop for probably 2 years now. It belonged to a neighbour that didn’t want to fork out the amount for a new control board and new compressor and dumped it with me. It was originally an R600 (isobutane) unit and I’m not keen to work with highly flammable/explosive refrigerants but eventually I came across a suitably sized, second hand, 134A compressor and found myself with some playtime the other day so I flushed it, vacuumed it and converted it.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Comp.jpg 
Views:	796 
Size:	67.3 KB 
ID:	6139

Name:	Inside Fridge.jpg 
Views:	415 
Size:	27.1 KB 
ID:	6140

It's a pretty standard almost-frost-free type of fridge, it has an finned, static evaporator coil inside the freezer cabinet and a standard evaporator plate in the back wall of the fridge compartment. Both evaporators are in series with the freezer fed first by capillary and the chiller/fridge getting fed second from the freezer left-overs as it were. The condenser is the standard black steel convection type that stands proud at the back.

Name:	Fridge.jpg 
Views:	342 
Size:	32.7 KB 
ID:	6141

Instead of installing an extortionately priced new manufacturers control board that did almost nothing other than temp control by 4 x presets and would take 3 weeks to arrive I installed a generic 2-probe refrigeration controller which gave me the advantage of being very accurate temperature control, being able to more tightly control the defrost cycle, a temperature display accurate to 0.1 degrees and alarm facility if the fridge ever stops working and my food starts defrosting.

Name:	Temp Controller.jpg 
Views:	347 
Size:	17.8 KB 
ID:	6138

I ran the fridge and it turned out the 134A compressor was fractionally oversize by what’s known in professional engineering circles as a ‘ball hair’. After I got it down to normal operating temp and balanced the refrigerant charge it was very very close to being in a vacuum on the suction side. With a substantially oversize compressor it can result in condensing noise and under condensing/running hot but none of these symptoms were present and it ran well.

It was early evening in my workshop when I tested the fridge, it was empty and it took about 1 hour to get from 30 degrees to 2 degrees internal cabinet temperature at which point the controller shut off the compressor. Not wanting to hang around any longer I threw a power monitor on the fridge power supply to record the on and off times throughout the night so I could see in the morning if there were any problems.

Next day I checked the power log and everything was as expected. I could see the running periods and the off periods once the set temperature was reached and I could also see the defrost period that happened for 15 minutes in the early morning. From the regular pattern of the power log the fridge was running for around 10-12 minutes and then remained off for approx 35 minutes. Great I thought...success, a nice cheap fridge I can use at home for the bulk monthly shopping stuff so I promptly located it in my laundry room next to the small chest freezer.
    Last edited by AndyD; 23-Jan-16 at 12:55 AM.