Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

Thread: Basic Compliance requirements

Thanks
    I don't know but I doubt it. Surely if regulation information was freely available it would make our country safer?
    Although, can you imagine clients inspecting your work while reading regulations with their uneducated misinterpretation thrown into the mix x)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    Putting yourself on a public forum and opening up to all these issues would be suicide.

Getting the correct info about the regs is like trying to squeeze water out of a stone.

In the perfect world SABS would have a help line. They make the rules they should have people who are employed and trained to offer 24 hours (or at least during office hours) guidance to inspectors.

The fact that people have to resort to social media platforms like this to get advice is a clear indication of how f&*%&* the system is.

You can always follow the sparks edition of the regs, they dont even get it right.
    Hi Ian's
    Where can one find the Sparks edition of the regs.It is always good to get another perspective.
    Thanks

Sent from my HUAWEI VNS-L31 using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    I know you guys are talking about interpreting of the regs rather than the regs themselves so on a slight tangent, I've wondered for a while and never got around to asking, does anyone know if the SANS regulations are available to be accessed for free viewing at public libraries? This is the case in the UK, (in theory) you can view all the British Standard regs at any library. In practice they're only available at the main libraries but none the less they're available for public viewing, just wondered if it was the same here.....
    The SANS and SABS regulations are not free and may not be copied or sold privately http://home.sanas.co.za/
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Most of those posts are from 2016 and I am wondering if legislation is still the same. I am trying to find out if it is true that there needs to be an isolation switch within 1.5m of an electric gate motor? The other concern I have is similar to the questions in the thread. I recently took occupation of a house where the gate motor is fed by a 20m long surflex cable from a normal plug outlet socket in the garage. At the gate motor electricity is tapped off to a day night switch which gives power to two lights in the wall on either side of the gate.
    The wiring at the gate motor and to the day night switch is disgusting and is not safe and the day night switch is cracked and no longer waterproof, prompting me to question the validity of the COC certificate.

I have been told conflicting stories and do not know what to believe. I still have these questions:
    • Is an isolation switch required within 1.5m of an electric gate motor, irrespective of the source of power. (plugged in vs wired in)
    • Do the lights and day night switch connected to the gate motor make it part of the installation and subject to COC compliance?

If the gate motor and lights are excluded because of it being classified as “plugged in”, do I have any recourse with the estate agent company for not disclosing this in the Offer to Purchase contract they drew up?

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

Bearing in mind that the COC for an installation is subject to the regulation at date of installation and I am referring to the new reg's - Sans 10142-1 Ed 2
    The quick and easy answer is in 6.16.1.5 - A socket outlet shall only feed one fixed appliance - In your case the socket outlet is feeding 3 fixed appliances.- I would say that it would fail.

A couple of further reg's pasted below from previous queries

Gate motors fed from a socket outlet in the dwelling - over 3m away
    Using Sans 10142-1 Ed 2
    A gate motor is regarded as a motor - 6.16.5 - pg 187

6.16.5.1.4 pg 188 - each motor shall be supplied by a manually operated disconnector - shall be visible , readily accessible etc

6.16.1.5 pg 182 - Socket outlet shall only supply one fixed appliance .The use of flexible cords exceeding 3m is not recommended

6.16.1.10 - pg 183 - Wiring between different parts of a fixed appliance that are installed separately is part of the fixed installation even when supplied from a socket outlet

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    gce. how does these regs reconcile each other then?

6.9.3.3 The disconnecting device shall be a switch-disconnector that
    disconnects all the phase conductors, however

a) a circuit-breaker may be used instead of a switch-disconnector if
    overcurrent protection is also required (see also 6.8.1.), or

b) another device may be used instead of a switch-disconnector, where
    specified in this part of SANS 10142 for a particular application.

NOTE 1 Any switch used to control an inductive load has to be suitable for that duty.

NOTE 2 Unless the device is a switch-disconnector, it shall be marked.

NOTE 3 The removal of a plug from a socket-outlet is a means of safe
    disconnection.

Surely if the "motor" feeds from a "socket-outlet" it satisfy the "disconnector" requirements since it is allowed?

Also bear in mind that the 3m rule is only for "flexible cords", not surfix?

6.16.1.5 A socket-outlet shall supply only one fixed appliance. The use of
    flexible cords of length exceeding 3 m is not recommended. The reason for
    this recommendation is an endeavour to ensure operation of the overcurrent
    protective device. (But see also 6.14.1.4 for luminaires.)

and,

6.16.1.2 The power supply to every fixed appliance, except luminaires, shall
    be supplied through

a) a disconnecting device that disconnects both live conductors in a singlephase
    supply and all phase conductors in a multiphase supply, or

b) a socket-outlet that is directly accessible at all times that any person is
    exposed to such appliance while the supply is on. In the case of a
    remotely installed appliance, the position of the disconnecting device
    shall be indicated by means of a notice in close proximity to or on the
    appliance.

and,

6.9.3 Disconnecting devices for equipment

6.9.3.1 An appliance or equipment that is not supplied from a socket-outlet,
    including equipment automatically or remote controlled, shall be capable of
    being disconnected from the supply by an easily accessible switchdisconnector.
    The disconnector shall be mounted (if not specified elsewhere
    in this part of SANS 10142, but excluding luminaire circuits) (see also
    6.16.1.4)

a) within arm's reach from the terminals of the appliance, or

b) in a distribution board, if the device is capable of being locked in the open
    position.

The disconnector can control more than one appliance if the functions of the
    appliances are related. Where equipment which belongs to the supplier of
    electricity (such as meters or remote controlled load switching) is installed,
    the main switch may be regarded as the disconnecting device
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 12-Dec-17 at 08:39 AM.

Thanks
    In a nutshell, a socket outlet within 1.5m of a gate motor is an acceptable isolating device. It does not need to be replaced with a double pole isolator. Being fed from a socket outlet in the garage your concerns are valid Stuart. Either a socket outlet or isolator must be provided at the gate. The pillar lights can be fed from the gate motor which has terminals provided therefore. The cracked D/N switch does not comply with IP rating anymore and must be replaced. Any open joints or non-UV protected cable would also be in contravention of the regulations. When an installation is inspected it is not always the latest regulations, as they stand now, which are applicable. In certain cases older regulations must be applied and sometimes only the minimum safety requirements.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Respectfully, i have to disagree, I will sign a coc if the gate motor plugs into ANY sans approved socket outlet and has not been wired with a flexible cord (3m rule for "flexible cords): {if it satisfies a) or b) or c) or d) below}

6.16.5.1.4 Each motor shall be supplied by a manually operated
    disconnector or any other manually operated disconnecting arrangement
    such as a withdrawable circuit-breaker, a removable link, a fuse or by the
    removal of a plug from a socket-outlet,
    which provides at least the same
    isolating distance
    , for the sake of safety, as a disconnector that is

a) readily accessible and mounted on or next to the motor, or
    b) visible from the motor, or
    c) lockable in the open position, or
    d) housed in a lockable enclosure other than a distribution board.

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    Hi

I agree with the above statement - In the original query by Stuart the motor was plugged in 20m away - There was no mention of a socket next to the motor.

With regards to my statement that once the cord exceeds 3m - I need to find the reg , as it is mention but time is a bit short at the moment.

If we all said that we can unplug and then ignore the installation - then why don't we install a 63amp socket outlet at the incoming supply - When coming to do a coc we just unplug the house and give the COC for for the 63amp socket .

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by GCE View Post
    Hi

I agree with the above statement - In the original query by Stuart the motor was plugged in 20m away - There was no mention of a socket next to the motor.

With regards to my statement that once the cord exceeds 3m - I need to find the reg , as it is mention but time is a bit short at the moment.
    If we all said that we can unplug and then ignore the installation - then why don't we install a 63amp socket outlet at the incoming supply - When coming to do a coc we just unplug the house and give the COC for for the 63amp socket .
    "I gave the regs: 6.16.1.5 A socket-outlet shall supply only one fixed appliance. The use of
    flexible cords of length exceeding 3 m is not recommended. The reason for
    this recommendation is an endeavour to ensure operation of the overcurrent
    protective device. (But see also 6.14.1.4 for luminaires.)"

"Point of supply and point of consumption" is what defines an "installation"

You can very well do that. But what you are suggesting still will not satisfy the second part of that same installation of sans 10142-2017 2nd edition for the "installation" itself as defined.
    Last edited by ACEsterhuizen; 15-Dec-17 at 07:31 AM.

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast