Hello,

I lived in Gauteng for many years, then moved to Western Cape around year 2000.
I was immediately annoyed at how business was done in W.Cape, and 15 years later very little has changed.
(Yes you try and educate)

Here is what I witnessed, it is a *generalization* and its not true for all companies,
though true for a large percentage: (It is like the environment and area is influencing their behavior)
(Many companies has since impressed me greatly with their professionalism)

In Cape Town:

1. You contact a company, they arrange a technician to visit you. (wow they answered their phones this time!)
2. Technician says "will be there tomorrow morning". (no time given, its "Slaapstad" of cause! adapt or die)
3. Technician (neatly dressed) shows up very late, test something, and says "Will be back tomorrow morning". (again no time)
4. Technician does NOT show up next day, you contact him, he says "oh sorry got busy with another job", will reschedule.
(no call to warn you he is stuck or busy). To him it is OK. normal way of "doing business".
5. You feel neglected, unimportant, and wish you never have to deal with this company again.

Same scenario in Johannesburg / Randburg
2. Technician makes a date: specific time, gets GPS coordinates to your place.
3. Technician neatly dressed, polite, friendly, shows up on time, does the work skillfully. No need "to be back tomorrow".
4. If technician is accidentally held up: he calls you, makes alternate arrangements like different time or different technician.
5. You feel empowered, proud to do business with them, would recommend them to friends.

My own 2c opinion: Cape Town companies are far less professional than Johannesburg counterparts,
the Lay-back-ness is getting in the way of Getting-Things-Done.

If you disagree: you welcome to show examples to prove my opinion wrong.

Another example: lets call them COMPANY A (in Cape Town Area Northern Suburbs)
1. you walk into a shop to look for a new (say) bed lamp.
2. Guy sits behind the counter, looks like he is bored with life.
3. He does not get up to help you. He stares you in the eyes, does not greet, expressionless just sits there.
4. You need help, you ask him for help, it looks like you just asked him to donate a kidney, its all over his face,
he does not really want to help you, he is just there waiting for time to pass so he can collect his next paycheck.
5. He tells you, sorry cannot help you with Brand-X, does not offer to source it, just dead-end business.
5. You walk out of the shop. miffled, swear to yourself you will NEVER support this shop again.

No it does not help to complain to his boss, because you find out he IS the boss.

Same scenario in Gauteng:
2. Guy greets you as you get into the shop, smiles, asks immediately how he/she can help.
3. If their shop does not stock it, he offers to get it from another branch, or give ideas where else you might try.
4. You walk out of the shop feeling important, satisfied and helped: even if you don't have the product in hand
5. You tell yourself: Now Here I will shop again.

I would love to teleport company A into Gauteng, in the middle of their competitors, and watch them slowly die.

I will think up a more positive list on "how to help companies to be a bit more professional".