This is my first post. I’m sure you have heard this one before but here we go..
The house it 30 yro and in a good nick…and we are in the Bothasig area in the WC
I had an R132k solar system installed. It’s a Goodwe invertor system with 16 solar panels. From the first day of the solar installation I had this Earth leakage unit problem. The installer doesn’t think it’s the solar panels installation (DC) but rather a fault in the house.
My tripping problem is only when it starts to rain. Switching everything off and then switch on the system 1 by 1 doesn’t work, the ELU will reset just to trip a couple of seconds later and then boem als oor and it will not trip again for days till it starts to rain again and the story will just repeat itself.
The installation works as follows…I use Eskom power at night. During the day and with sun power the house is run on solar…when load shedding kicks in the DB will only supply electricity to the emergency side of the DB, at night time this will be supported by 4 x 200ah batteries. The emergency side of the DB will only supply power to a few plugs for tv, fridge, freezer, garage and PC room. The stove geyser swimming pool and out room is off.
The Solar system side of the DB has its own ELU and never tripped when it rains only the main ELU trips. The ELU did not trip for weeks but last night when it rains it tripped again. So here we go….any takers to solve my problem, don’t know if I am allowed to say this on the Forum but while I have money I need to solve this problem.
To eliminate the problem I have done the following
• Contact an electrician (qualified) to replace the ELU (don’t know if it’s the top quality one and or if it will be different) don’t mind to go buy the best
• The electrician also install 2x iso switches on the DB and pull 2 cables to, 1 to have a plug on the stoep and second one to the garage for an outside LED light and to charge the garage door motors.
• The stoep is not on the emergency section of the DB but the garage supply are
• I’s switched off the swimming pool pump at the DB and outside at the pump switch off the white and green switch
• Pull out a light plug that feed from the stoep, thought it might be the bugger
• Pull out the light plug to the side of the house that feeds from the garage
• Pull out the bed lights plug in the bedroom
• Pull out the plug for the TV and DSTV decoder in the room
• Switch off the out room on the DB
• Replace the fluorescent light in the kitchen with LEK light strip (sealed unit)