Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Visa regulation changes

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Bronze Member
    Thanks

Visa regulation changes

Sorry if this has been discussed elsewhere.

We now experience the effect of the changes. We started a while ago doing business with an hotel in town. They ordered from us sometimes on a weekly basis. Yesterday we inquired about why we have not heard from them in two weeks. There reply was that they still have stock.

In my opinion what is happening now is that they have less guests resulting in less sales for us. This means not only do they have less business, but so do we and so do all businesses along the chain. My suppliers might experience a minimal effect directly from the hotel not ordering from us. At the same time it could effect all the businesses selling to the hotel.

I am interested to learn whether other businesses have similar experiences.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Does this hotel primarily have foreign guests then?

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    I do not know Dave, but being in the middle of Cape Town and not too far from the Waterfront I would think that they do have a fair number of foreigners visiting. I do not think that these hotels can survive anyway only on SA guests.
    Faan Kruger
    +27 82 853 7879
    krugerfaan@gmail.com

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I wouldn't discount the effect of a local tightening up in the economy then. There's a lot of convention business in that neck of the woods too, and convention expense is one of the first to get cut when there's some belt-tightening going on.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    there is a lot happening with our economy, it is rightly noted that travelers don't see us as a good destination anymore. This is two fold, firstly you have your new Visa laws and then there is a growing concern for safety. A friend of mine runs self-catering guest houses and many of her guests reported cameras, laptops, phones and tablets being stolen at the airport. Not a wonderful start to any vacation regardless of the destination.

Also consider that our municipalities are failing to provide safe and clean services? This was also in the news and any traveler wants to return home healthy. Last thing is our mining industry/steel industry with job losses already in the thousands will put a hold on local vacationers. So yes hard times are ahead.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    there is a lot happening with our economy, it is rightly noted that travelers don't see us as a good destination anymore
    This is totally not true. Cape Town is one of the top holiday destinations of the world. This is an opinion from a person living in a small town in Mupumahlanga with absolutely no knowledge of the tourist trade in Cape Town. When walking around Cape Town and the Waterfront, 90% of the people are foreigners. The hotels and b&b's are almost full all the time, especially over Christmas. Business is booming round the Waterfront.

Do a test for yourself and phone a hotel or a b&b and try to get accommodation. Try both peak and non peak and check the results.
    Last edited by HR Solutions; 11-Aug-15 at 12:35 PM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Do a test for yourself and phone a hotel or a b&b and try to get accommodation. Try both peak and non peak and check the results.
    I had no problems getting accommodation halfway between The Waterfront and The ICC on very short notice at the beginning of July.
    There were plenty of cars to hire at the airport.
    The weather was absolutely fantastic (easily the best I've ever experienced visiting Capetown in winter), so I did the "late Sunday breakfast in Camps Bay followed by drive around the peninsula" thing. No problem getting parking in Camps Bay, a table at Mynt Café and I wouldn't describe Chapmans Peak as overrun with traffic. Frankly, far from it.

An afternoon photo session at Signal Hill saw plenty of parking available in the parking lot.

At the City Lodge, there was at least one foreign guest staying judging by accents at breakfast during the week. However, I'd put the vast majority as fellow SAffers (most of whom seemed to be attending the same convention I was).

Does any of this indicate new Visa regulations have impacted tourism numbers?
    No.

What I can tell you is that attendance at the convention was only 60% of what it was the previous year.
    Mind you, last year it was in Durban (where getting really good weather in winter is a little less surprising than in Capetown). So maybe that was it and not the economy.

Tricky thing, anecdotal evidence.

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (12-Aug-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Cape Town’s investment goals suffering under new visa rules says city leaders

“We are trying to lobby for a relaxation because we won’t make (our economic plans) work without being able to access the tops skills from around the world,” so said Tim Harris, head of investment for the City of Cape Town.

Speaking to the Cape Town Press club late last week Harris told media role players that the city was engaging with the Department of Home Affairs, through its trade and investment agency Wesgro, hoping to reach “some sort of concession” on the new regulations.

Harris added that he expected that there was no easy answer and an open and free visa system would have played a positive role in securing investment for the city.

Harris, former DA shadow minister of finance is now in charge of the City of Cape Town’s new investment portfolio.

Speaking to the Cape Argus Harris said his appointment was a political appointment, and as such “was completely different” to that of a permanent councillor.

Harris was appointed by city mayor Patricia de Lille and his contract was therefore linked to her term in office.

Dismissing suggestions that Harris was employed as city manager ‘to keep an eye on things for the DA’, Harris was quoted as saying, “My mission is simple. We want to make sure that Cape Town is open for business.”
    - See more at: http://www.nwivisas.com/nwi-blog/sou....0SWhRXW3.dpuf
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Also you need to compare apples with apples.
    July, aug and sept are the quiet months in Cape Town, so one needs to look at sales stats from that period.

Also, it is not to say that CT has died, but has trade decreased, oestensibly due to visa regs.
    Different venues may be impacted differently given their market dynamics.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

11. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (12-Aug-15)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes July, Aug, Sep are the quiter months. That is why they have those conventions then at CTICC. Not sure how many tourists use City Lodge either so don't think that is a good example either. In winter most people also stay inside because of the freezing cold, but going to the VA or other tourist attractions including restaurants, they are always quite busy. My opinion is still that CT is a fantastic tourist destination. I have spoken to estate agents and it is quite scary to hear how the foreigners are buying VERY expensive properties on the Atlantic Seaboard. I have also recently bought property down there and it is not cheap. If you want to think that the foreign trade is cooling off in Cape Town then that is your opinion. The simple fact that potholes, broken walls, robots, street lights are fixed almost within 24 hours in the CBD and close proximity is fantastic to me and shows a city looking after itself because they know they are a tourist destination. Large cruise liners dock at the VA every second week which also continues to bring in another 3000 odd people every second week.

PS. OH forgot to mention. The apartment I have recently bought is totally booked out for the whole of December and January thro an agent. I believe they are foreigners, but I may be wrong. So if anyone is also interested in a holiday apartment before or after that and can't find accommodation - give me a shout and I will send you a link for you to see to book.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast