Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Inverter Interfering with DSTV signal

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by deejaypsy View Post
    Morning Tec0,
    This is exactly how i earthed the PVR 2P with still no luck at all on inverter.
    The old decoder in their Xtra view setup, is exactly the same as yours in the picture...it has no earth connected to it and still runs perfectly in inverter mode.
    Hence my thoughts towards the PVR being the problem in this equation...
    Maybe the power supply on it doesn't like it? I guess it can be a bit sensitive... Here is a trick get a 600VA UPS "computer UPS" In the very old days we use to use them to "filter" the power from dogy generators... Sometimes it worked sometimes to poor UPS would just click itself to death. I don't know how the inverter will react to it so keep a close eye on it when you test?

Best of luck
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    Maybe the power supply on it doesn't like it? I guess it can be a bit sensitive... Here is a trick get a 600VA UPS "computer UPS" In the very old days we use to use them to "filter" the power from dogy generators... Sometimes it worked sometimes to poor UPS would just click itself to death. I don't know how the inverter will react to it so keep a close eye on it when you test?

Best of luck
    Hey Tec0,
    Thanx for the advice. Unfortunately, I dont have access to the house now til the end of August, as the people are away on holiday.
    It could be the power supply as the PVR has one and the old box doesn't...
    I guess i wont know for sure as they have agreed to buy the Explora when they get back...
    I'll pop back with a conclusion when that happens.
    We are not human beings undergoing a spiritual phase.....we are spiritual beings undergoing a human phase....

3. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (29-Jul-15)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Hey Tec0,
    Thanx for the advice. Unfortunately, I dont have access to the house now til the end of August, as the people are away on holiday.
    I guess i wont know for sure as they have agreed to buy the Explora when they get back...
    LOL talk about a cliff hanger!!! Will look forward to your conclusion but love the thread!!! thanks was a good read
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Just to add my 3 cents here. Is it possible that the problem could be the lounge tv and not the decoder. I have a small tv at home I use when the power goes and even without the decoder there is always interference on the screen, tried a different tv and no problem.

Thanks

Lightbulb

Quote Originally Posted by vieome View Post
    Just to add my 3 cents here. Is it possible that the problem could be the lounge tv and not the decoder. I have a small tv at home I use when the power goes and even without the decoder there is always interference on the screen, tried a different tv and no problem.
    I dont think it is the tv, as when the inverter kicks in the tv doesn't even flicker, and stays on, just the message from DSTV saying the signal has been lost appears on the screen.
    I definitely think it is a signal issue, therefore seemingly pointing a finger at the decoder chip in the PVR.
    I am actually doing another install of the exact same unit today...and guess what...the client has a flatscreen tv with a PVR 2P and an old box setup as Xtra view!!
    Now that i know that even with distance the setup doesn't work, I am almost certain that this setup wont work either, however the saving grace here is that the main decoder is the old box...the Xtra view is the PVR...
    ...so, i am hoping that the main signal will continue on the main lounge tv. I'm pretty sure that signal will be lost on the bedroom tv.
    Very interested to see what happens...
    I'll pop back a bit later and fill you all in...
    We are not human beings undergoing a spiritual phase.....we are spiritual beings undergoing a human phase....

7. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (30-Jul-15)

Thanks
    Are they perhaps on a SmartTV / Smart Village TV?

Thanks

Red face

Hi guys,
    Sorry for the belated update but i've had a busy weekend.
    OK, so i went to another clients house to do an install last Thursday and they had the same setup as the unit described in this post.
    I installed the inverter and flipped the switch at the plug to simulate a mains failure and...tadah...perfect!
    Works exactly as it should!
    I then did an install at another client on Friday, and they also had a PVR 2P as main and an old decoder as Multi-View.
    Once again, flawless operation. Unit worked exactly as it should with no signal loss.
    So, at the end of the day it seems as though the client in question's PVR 2P decoder is knackered. But only on inverter, not mains!
    Very strange indeed, but at least I am pretty certain that it is just that decoder, or perhaps a batch of them (i dont know).
    If i come across this problem again i will update this thread and let you knw, but for now, the problem seems isolated.
    I'll update here once i've finished the install at said client's house with the Explora (once he buys it) just in case the problem lies elsewhere and not the decoder!
    An interesting one for sure, and hopefully an isolated incident...

Thanks
    [/QUOTE]

Hi guys,
    OK, so i went to another clients house to do an install last Thursday and they had the same setup as the unit described in this post.
    I installed the inverter and flipped the switch at the plug to simulate a mains failure and...tadah...perfect!
    I then did an install at another client on Friday, and they also had a PVR 2P as main and an old decoder as Multi-View.
    Once again, flawless operation. Unit worked exactly as it should with no signal loss.
    So, at the end of the day it seems as though the client in question's PVR 2P decoder is knackered. But only on inverter, not mains!
    Very strange indeed, but at least I am pretty certain that it is just that decoder, or perhaps a batch of them (i dont know).
    If i come across this problem again i will update this thread and let you knw, but for now, the problem seems isolated.
    I'll update here once i've finished the install at said client's house with the Explora (once he buys it) just in case the problem lies elsewhere and not the decoder!

Thanks
    Hey Tec0,
    Hi guys,
    Days of investigation. Problem solved to the above on old decoder. Press blue Dstv button on remote... scroll to settings.... system settings.... remote control settings.... Put TV Link to ON.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12