Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: Get Windows 10

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by tec0 View Post
    The Ghost packets i tracked totaled about 750kb per 1 hour of 3G use. But twice a day the ghost packets double to 1.4Mb of data... Creepy right
    Could you find out how much of that is uploads, and how much are downloads/control signals?

I'm guessing there's some timer event which uploads certain information at certain times of the day. But I wouldn't be surprised if some backdoor implementation from MS listens to an "instruction" from some server to tell it to upload certain "other" info also.

Just wondering if something like Comodo Firewall would stop this in its tracks. Not that I'd ever install that (again), talk about a resource hog, even AVs like Norton / AVG could learn from Comodo about how to use up all RAM and CPU cycles such that the computer truly becomes useless. Only it was the most complete 3rd party firewall I've yet found on Windows - basically everything is stopped unless you specifically allow each individually (I always joked that it did this through not allowing anything else to actually "run"). Though that was still on XP, haven't used it again for several years now. But then it would even stop stuff like Windows's Update checks. Reading a later review it seems they've "toned down the behaviour blocking", so I'm guessing it wouldn't do much about W10's theft of data: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414835,00.asp

Not that I'm advocating any such 3rd party firewall to keep W10 from stealing your files, I'd really advise anyone I come across to rather use anything else. But I guess if you're stuck with it (i.e. you have no choice but to go W10) you have 2nd best choice: either allow MS to do whatever the hell they want with ALL of your files / passwords / connection histories / etc. and never actually save anything personal, sensitive, "secret" or allow yourself to type-in any sort of password (or other credentials), basically don't use your PC for the reasons you actually bought it. Or try to block them from doing so, because simply put, no matter what or how many time you tell Windows DON'T STEAL FROM ME, it will just go ahead an steal anyway.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Could you find out how much of that is uploads, and how much are downloads/control signals?

I'm guessing there's some timer event which uploads certain information at certain times of the day. But I wouldn't be surprised if some backdoor implementation from MS listens to an "instruction" from some server to tell it to upload certain "other" info also.

Just wondering if something like Comodo Firewall would stop this in its tracks. Not that I'd ever install that (again), talk about a resource hog, even AVs like Norton / AVG could learn from Comodo about how to use up all RAM and CPU cycles such that the computer truly becomes useless. Only it was the most complete 3rd party firewall I've yet found on Windows - basically everything is stopped unless you specifically allow each individually (I always joked that it did this through not allowing anything else to actually "run"). Though that was still on XP, haven't used it again for several years now. But then it would even stop stuff like Windows's Update checks. Reading a later review it seems they've "toned down the behaviour blocking", so I'm guessing it wouldn't do much about W10's theft of data: http://www.pcmag.com/article2/0,2817,2414835,00.asp

Not that I'm advocating any such 3rd party firewall to keep W10 from stealing your files, I'd really advise anyone I come across to rather use anything else. But I guess if you're stuck with it (i.e. you have no choice but to go W10) you have 2nd best choice: either allow MS to do whatever the hell they want with ALL of your files / passwords / connection histories / etc. and never actually save anything personal, sensitive, "secret" or allow yourself to type-in any sort of password (or other credentials), basically don't use your PC for the reasons you actually bought it. Or try to block them from doing so, because simply put, no matter what or how many time you tell Windows DON'T STEAL FROM ME, it will just go ahead an steal anyway.
    When you mentioned it i started to think about BlackICE firewall that thing always worked but its not free. Tell you what I will setup a test computer this weekend again and do a clean install of win10 "no antivirus nothing" and just connect to the net and let it idle and see what packets i capture. I will disable "everything" and see if there are any ghost packets apart from your average idle packets. I also want to find a way to access the hidden partition in real time and see what gets cashed to it if possible and if any.

this is going to be fun
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What i did;

Installed OS without any other software including drivers. Disabled updates left system to idol.

Day 1 4 hour idol while connected to the internet > 2mb up 300kb down packets was encrypted (rounded numbers)
    Day 2 4 hour idol while connected to the internet > 1mb up 150kb down packets was encrypted (rounded numbers)
    Day 3 4 hour idol while connected to the internet > 0 data up 0 data down "only connection packets was found"

Conclusion with updates disabled something is stalking and it wasn't any 3rd party software "not even a antivirus"
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Thanks
    Came across this handy little utility that others might find helpful in removing the Windows 10 update irritation. It also features a monitor facility that warns when Microsoft tries to renew its efforts.

http://blog.ultimateoutsider.com/201...ly-remove.html

Update: Ran the utility this morning and everything seemed to work fine. This afternoon had a blue-screen crash. Not too sure that it was related to the utility or not, but just thought that I would issue a warning.
    Last edited by Mike C; 30-Dec-15 at 05:05 PM. Reason: update
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Suspended
    Thanks
    Please don't upgrade a Sony Vaio running windows 8.1 to Windows 10 as it comprehensively bricks it!.. Warnings on the Sony Vaio web site say do not upgrade.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KelleyJames12 View Post
    Please don't upgrade a Sony Vaio running windows 8.1 to Windows 10 as it comprehensively bricks it!.. Warnings on the Sony Vaio web site say do not upgrade.
    I've successfully upgraded two Sony Vaio laptops from Windows 7 to Windows 10, although I first had to remove all the Sony bloatware before doing so.

Both laptops have been running on Windows 10 without issues for a number of months now.
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I've successfully upgraded two Sony Vaio laptops from Windows 7 to Windows 10, although I first had to remove all the Sony bloatware before doing so.

Both laptops have been running on Windows 10 without issues for a number of months now.
    Do you have any privacy concerns regarding the use of Windows 10? It appears to be a way to push advertisement to your desktop environment and gather sensitive data about the user. What are your findings personally?
    DISCLAIMER - The above does not constitute to legal advice or formal advice in any manner or form

Thanks
    I came across this article and thought those members better versed on this topic than I am may want to comment:
    http://www.zdnet.com/article/windows...metry-secrets/
    Last edited by IanF; 25-Feb-16 at 07:02 AM.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I'm one of the people who has not upgraded. I have Windows 8.1 and frankly am still learning my way around that. I think we are going to be forced to upgrade sooner or later though. Anybody have thoughts on what will happen if I don't upgrade?
    Warm Regards,
    Gaynor Paynter
    083 442 4689
    www.typewritetranscription.co.za
    We type and write it right.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have just bought a new computer and put Windows 7 on it.

Page 11 of 15 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast