Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Rechargeable Light bulbs

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Hmm, call me a cynic but I'm not convinced . I guess it's possible in theory but in practice it would need to be constantly injecting a test signal into the supply and it would need considerable intelligence built into it. There's a couple of other issues as well such as during a power outage it would likely only 'see' the other loads connected to the installation(s) rather than the secondary side of the supply transformer. The impedance of the other lamps, transformers, ballasts, drivers or PSU's on the same switch circuit would also be an issue because this impedance would remain regardless of the circuit being switched on or off. Also if there was more than one of these things on a supply transformer they'd likely interfere with each other unless they all use a unique test signal.

I'm just thinking outloud here and I'll be the first to say that anything's possible so I'd be very interested if someone would purchase one and promptly reverse engineer it to satisfy my curiosity and let me know how it works
    Hi Andy,
    Actually it is very simple electronics to do this. Current electronics today work with extremely low currents, this is the one reason that capacitance in long wires affects electronics. One could power very small micros with this floating power . Another good example is LED lamps and dimmers, which do not switch off at minimum dimming.

Using a very high impedance potential divider circuit, a number of tasks are handled immediately,
    Circuit forms Part of charging the battery, and on no power feeds a tiny current back to the mains line.
    Potential divider to measure powered applied from the mains
    When there is no power, the battery feeds back into the circuit through the potential potential divider and there will be a difference in voltage between a lamp switched off at the wall, because the circuit is cut by the switch, to the difference off when there is a power failure.

There will be a threshold in which the unit will not be able to tell the difference between a home DB disconnect and a genuine power failure.

At the end of the day, smart thinking and smart product.

Another quick test, is to short the globe L-N connections, and if the battery is fully charged will light up.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    I'm just thinking outloud here and I'll be the first to say that anything's possible so I'd be very interested if someone would purchase one and promptly reverse engineer it to satisfy my curiosity and let me know how it works
    Andy - you seem in doubt that it works ?? I mentioned previously that I have seen them work. I have "tested" them every which way. They must be used in an everyday light - When there is load shedding, it comes on automatically. If you don't know how it works, then I certainly don't either so I think that some of the guys above are pretty much on the right track. The fact is it works and I have seen it work. I have even found a supplier overseas to import them, but I'm not sure that I want to get into that kind of business.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123