Thread: Buyers should appoint their own CoC electrician. Please help!

Thanks

Buyers should appoint their own CoC electrician. Please help!

Electrical Certificate of Compliance: who is responsible? The Seller of this property provided a CoC prior to transfer. I was surprised that it cost only R500 and the property was 100% compliant. I had just sold my house in Jhb and it cost me R17,200 to fix a few minor problems so the CoC could be issued. After I moved in here, I found numerous minor problems and then a few dangerous connections.

I appointed an electrical company to do a CoC on my new property even though the CoC was issued in Aug 2014 and is valid for 2 years. I am 63. I have changed 3 light bulbs and replaced a few 2 prong plugs on appliances with 3 prong plugs. I have made no electrical changes. The electrician is here now and he will provide a report of the problems. There are many more that I suspected. He seems to think that I will need to sue the Seller. I can't afford legal action against the seller. I am also not able to sell this property as I can't afford the cost of fixing the problems to get a "real" CoC. My guess: it will cost R50-R70K. I'll have the quote within a few days.

Questions for the experts and I pray that someone can assist:
    I purchased a property with a CoC issued with an ECA number.
    Why have a CoC if the buyer is not protected? Is there legislation to protect the buyer without the buyer incurring huge legal and/or repair expenses? The electrician may lose his license but who is liable for the cost of fixing the problems?

I strongly recommend that all buyers pay an independent electrical company to provide the CoC. Remember it is very much cheaper for the seller to bribe an electrician than it is to get a legitimate CoC.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,677 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Given that there is an ECA number on the CoC, I suggest forward a copy of the CoC issued together with a copy of the upcoming faults list to the ECA (SA) to investigate a bit deeper for you and see if they can assist. Seeing as you are in Shelley Beach, here is the KZN ECA (SA) contact page.

3. Thanks given for this post:

DieterT (11-May-15)

Thanks
    Well this scenario can also work, but there will be some fights, The buyer gets the compliance done, pays for the repairs and deduct from the selling price. Now he has a COC that's , well , lets say good to go.
    Our problem is with different interpretations of certain regulations.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    This is why a home inspection is always recommended. You might loose your dream property, but at least you won't pay and dread the day you paid for many problems to come.

Hopefully the electrician who gave the "CoC" is an ECA member, this will help with the despute at hand, but unfortunetly won't fix your problems.

R50k - R70k seems way to much. You can almost build a new house with that amount (electrical)

The best thing that one can do with an offer to purchase is to add the clause that any part of the installation not being compliant will be deducted from the selling price to repair. The n after the CoC has been issued one can get an independent company to come do an inspection. This will then halt any monies to be transfered until such repairs have been made.

This is one of the best clauses I have seen so far that could help the buyer. The main reason doddgy sparkies are getting away with these R500 CoCs are because the new owner doesn't have the money to get a lawyer and take him on.

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

Thanks
    I heard that somewhere in midrand area, there is one guy who charge R600 for COC. My question was that does he do COC required test and I was told he does a quick check and issue COC. He thumb suck some readings and record on COC. Some important tests are ignored for quick buck and they do not take the profession seriously and one day they will pay the price I just hope no one gets hurt or killed or house burned out.

Thanks
    This is very complicated and I need good advice. Awaiting the quote but I am fairly sure that the entire property will need to be rewired. Very few electrical connections are compliant, a few are dangerous and today I found that there are illegal connections. I don't understand the technical terms "split cable, illegal DB board, etc". The COC had an ECA ref but this electrical contractor did not issue the COC. The seller requested the COC from a friend. The friend is a family member of the ECA member. The ECA member will provide the quote and tells me that I must sue the seller for costs because he did not issue the COC. What am I missing? I purchased a property with a COC issued by an ECA registered electrical company and now I need to sue the seller due to possible corruption between the seller, the person who provided a COC and the ECA registered company. I am the only innocent party yet I need to pay or sue? I don't think so!

Thanks
    R600 sounds low. Many companies will deliver the COC to your gate if you hand over R2000 in cash. I am very relieved that I am one of those silly people who adhere to the law. I paid R17,200 to fix the problems in the house I sold to get the COC. My buyer thought he was an electrician and immediately replaced light fittings and painted. The kitchen light burst into flames and he tried to sue me. The contractor who issued my COC was honest, he fixed all problems and had photographs of every light fitting, plug, etc. The light that burst into flames was a new fitting, incorrectly installed on a freshly painted ceiling. Case closed!