Thread: 24VDC

Diamond Member
    Thanks

24VDC

Wasnt sure where to put this, so it will be here for now.

I have a question for all you bright fellas. I need to keep a 24 VDC control panel running when we go back in time to darkest Africa, which is becoming a regular thing lately.

The 24 VDC panel which has 6 switches which control solenoids to lift hydraulic cylinders. We have installed a beeeeeg V6 diesel engine to run a hydraulic pump to keep it running. I want to be able to keep the control panel operating.

The solenoids are 24 VDC - current draw 2.98 amps DC

The motor control panel has a 5 amp 24 VDC power supply.

These are the options that i have come up with so far :

1/ 2 x 14 amp/hr batteries inside the motor control panel with a charger and a selector switch. (I like this idea because it the batteries can stay in the panel)

2/ A 4 amp...12-24 V DC - DC convertor connected to the battery which starts the Diesel engine. ( this idea involves clips and a free standing box)

3/ Fit an inverter with a change over switch connected to the engine battery, which will charge while the engine is running.

Such a pity the solenoids are not 12 VDC, easy to get a small 12 v charger and 1 single battery could do the job.

Anyone have a simple solution?

Thanks
    Are you looking for automatic changeover to battery when the power fails or will it be manually changed over with a switch?

I'd probably just install batteries and a decent PWM charger and a relay to auto change to battery power when the supply is loadshed. I suspect the answer depends on how much space you have in what panels.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    A cheap simple solution. Manual change over is fine. Thanks Andy i like the relay idea. Power on energies the relay, power off goes to NC and powers from the battery.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Easiest, cheapest option was to fit 2 x 18 amp/hr batteries in series to get 24 volt, fitted into a standard pvc battery box.

I fitted a 5 amp smart charger under the lid of the battery box, which can be removed and the 230 plug inserted into the charger.

A plug socket flush mounted to the side of the battery box, which is the same as the one mounted on the side of the electrical control panel.

Can run for around 8 hours.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.