Thread: If you owned this site....

Thanks

If you owned this site....

Hi Everyone

Just out of interest, if you owned this site, what would you have done to expand or monetize it, or would you have left it just as is?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Domain Registration Date: Sat Mar 28 20:02:36 GMT 2015

Run out of ideas already?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Run out of ideas already?
    Not really. I have the opportunity to either purchase the domain at a reasonable price or the whole website as a package. Don't really know if there is a way to grow this idea or even if it can be monetized at all. I already have a buyer for the domain, but the buyer is not interested in the idea. So, just caught on on whether I should spend a few thousand on the domain or double that on the website and keep it myself...

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Maybe do a Google search for k53 learners test to get idea on how others have monetised the niche, and what the competition is up to.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Maybe do a Google search for k53 learners test to get idea on how others have monetised the niche, and what the competition is up to.
    I did so the past 3 days. The most expensive part of this sale is the unique program, testing platform, on which the site is built. There is nothing like this in SA when I visited sites that offer these test platforms. That being said, I am not one for 'unique' things, money can be made of things that have been done over and over again. The bottom line is the money. Return on investment. I do not really see a way to monetize the testing platform - especially with ads.

Just thought that some may have some ideas. Perhaps buying and selling the domain name alone to a drivers license company is the best option for making a few rands.

Thanks
    Market exclusive access to driving schools so they can resell to prospective students. The driving school pay a monthly access fee and then charge a nominal amount to each student or prospect wanting to take a pre test. Let the driving schools find the users and you concentrate on getting the schools onboard which in turn will increase traffic and ultimately give you marketable targeted traffic for advertising learners test books etc. You would need to input the capital to buy the system and domain as well as redesign the interface.

It has potential but would require a bit of lateral thinking and sales experience in order to get the first schools onboard. You would most likely need to build the resell platform and basic marketing kit first and then offer a couple months no obligation trial to a few schools to kickstart it.

Are we talking a large investment and career change here or is this something you are wanting to do part time and fund from the "rainy day fund"?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DanE View Post
    Market exclusive access to driving schools so they can resell to prospective students. The driving school pay a monthly access fee and then charge a nominal amount to each student or prospect wanting to take a pre test. Let the driving schools find the users and you concentrate on getting the schools onboard which in turn will increase traffic and ultimately give you marketable targeted traffic for advertising learners test books etc. You would need to input the capital to buy the system and domain as well as redesign the interface.

It has potential but would require a bit of lateral thinking and sales experience in order to get the first schools onboard. You would most likely need to build the resell platform and basic marketing kit first and then offer a couple months no obligation trial to a few schools to kickstart it.

Are we talking a large investment and career change here or is this something you are wanting to do part time and fund from the "rainy day fund"?

Thanks for the idea DanE

That sounds like a good idea.

No, I do not know if this will really be a big career change type investment. Yes, I will need to fork out a couple of tens of thousands of Rands for full rights to the platform. So, it may be worth my while to purchase it and look into your recommendations.

Thanks
    Good luck either way. See whether you can buy cheaper usage rights for the system to test it out and ensure the full rights cost is fixed for 12-18 months. That way you can setup with less capital investment.