Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Degree.. Is unemployed...

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Lol .... Now perhaps u understand why you are not having much luck.
    Hi HR, am not sure if your statement was directed to me. if ye, then perhaps my last post needs some clarification.my problem is with my 25 yr old guy who needs to get into something more seriously. The latest is wanting to teach English in Korea.

The older guy with his car thing is doing quite well, rather successfully.Whilst i think it's crazy to have given up a medical career, he's quite happy in doing what he is doing and making more bucks than when he was a medic.Who am i to complain.

Lets pray that my 25 yr old as well as our new member "Random Hero" settle in to some decent jobs

Suspended
    Thanks
    No not u at all. I'm am referring to the "degreed" unemployed chap who doesn't know what to do to get a job and doesn't take advice ....and can't understand why he does not have much luck with recruitment companies.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
    Kevin, I just do not believe that I have the aptitude to convince someone to buy a product that they do not need. I studied this degree because I would like to be a market analyst for a reputable company. I enjoy market research, brand management, marketing management. I am a easy going person and I can easily talk to people. I have been told by people that I am likeable with first impressions and poeple enjoy talking to me.

An like I said if I could be mentored and trained in sales then I would be willing to give it a shot because I am unfamiliar with the field.

I am willing to learn, I can adapt easily, I work hard, I am a perfectionist so i get it done right. and I am a nice person. I have skills in market research, I can present this research. I can develop marketing strategies and brand strategies.
    My experience is that all successful people started at the bottom. Get the foundation right before you start building a tower. How will you run a marketing campaign if you have never sold anything? Do you have the slightest idea what it takes for sales people to do their jobs? Have you ever managed a sales team or do you understand what it takes?

Do you understand the difference between sales and marketing? Do you have a little more than theoretical knowledge of consumer behaviour? Can you manage statistics? A degree does not make you a genius. Hard work and years of experience will get you close. Yes, I do have a degree and a masters to boot, but that does not make me clever. Learning from life and from people has given me more skills than an MBA could ever do.

I am not suggesting that you should become a salesman in a retail store, but take a job that will give you sales exposure that you can use as a stepping stone to reach your ultimate goal. There are many guys with the same ambitions that you have. Acquire the skills to beat the opposition. Prove yourself first. Build your CV. No-one will risk employing an untested and unskilled graduate.

You have been given good advice by the Forum members. What you do with it is entirely up to you. Good luck.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

4. Thank given for this post:

flaker (16-Apr-15), reuphk (16-Apr-15)

Suspended
    Thanks
    Now you guys perhaps understand another posting I made about this whereby I explained the problems around recruiting. This is a typical example. The specific age group and the challenges we face with them. A lot of young candidates do not feel that they need to start at the "bottom". They think that because they have a degree they are "entitled" to step into the correct job directly after they obtain their qualification/degree and are entitled to earn the big bucks. My advice is exactly as I have stated and a lot of other guys on this post - Start at the bottom and work your way up. Unfortunately our advice is sometimes taken and sometimes not taken, as in this case. I suppose that is their right and I still do wish them the best as they attempt to go forward blaming everyone else including recruitment agencies.

A lot of them including this one feel that they have been victimised and ostracised, but it is a fact. Companies want, employ and pay for qualifications, experience, knowledge, attitude etc and people that are prepared to go the extra mile, therefore when someone complains and starts a thread exactly like this one, they do not like the answers that they get which is really from experience. I once again suggest to this candidate - Take the advice as constructive, use some of the advice and go out there a find a job, but be prepared to start something different, like sales, which really is not that different, work your way up, prove to your boss what you are capable of and maybe, just maybe he may see something in you. This will also help on your cv, because non work gaps do not help at all !!

Thanks
    A big thank you to Flaker and Blurock for the information, you have really given me valid points to look at. I feel motivated to try and look other routes and better evaluate my situation.

Kind Regards,

RH

Thanks
    A big thank you to Flaker and Blurock for the information, you have really given me valid points to look at. I feel motivated to try and look at other routes and better evaluate my situation.

Kind Regards,

RH

Email problem
    Thanks
    I agree with HR Solutions on this.
    I also have a 27 year old son who does not like selling. He is a Personal Trainer. I guess in his business, he is selling...
    Like with anything, there are always someone who needs something to buy, hence someone will sell it to them. This is what marketing is about.
    Random Hero. We are not necessarily saying go into door-to-door hard sales, but there are many places where you can use your knowledge well and people will buy from you, even when you are not selling to them. Hint. This is the best way to sell i.e. let them feel they buy from you. Sounds a little like marketing yet?

More practical. Have you considered Contact Centres? Either telephone (call) or running campaigns (marketing) in contact centres would fit into your knowledge base. There is lots of courses for Call Centres, and many vacancies in this field. Regardless of race, gender or religion. Ok, if you can speak more languages that would help
    Here is the clincher. Call centres are across industries. Banking, Insurance, Health, Service, Telecomms, continue on... and they love taking in young, inexperienced people with high levels of energy.

Back to my son. People love him, and buy from him easily. He offers them his service as personal trainer and even recommend products for their health or to help reach their goals. Whatever you do, dont tell him he is selling...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
    A big thank you to Flaker and Blurock for the information, you have really given me valid points to look at. I feel motivated to try and look at other routes and better evaluate my situation.

Kind Regards,

RH
    Wow! You have just taken the first step to becoming a millionaire CEO of your own company! You have listened to advice. It may not be the correct advice, but at least it stirred the grey stuff between your ears.

By listening and learning from others, one can gain a lot of valuable information. Been there done that etc. Observe and keep best practices - it works across industries. Also observe what successful people do and follow suit. Can you improve on what your FSP (Favourite Successful Person) is doing? Does he come late for work? Does he get involved in office gossip? Does he drink too much? Is that person inspiring? Does he have goals and does he pursue it?

Do you have a mentor or a role model? Sometimes a little guidance can be invaluable to set you on the right road.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You don't like selling? Hard luck mate, because to get a job with just a BCom and next-to-no experience you've got to sell yourself.

I'm 24 years old and when I finished my degree, I felt like I still knew nothing. Honours changed that a little bit, but for me the largest part of your education will come from doing, and doing it passionately.

When I look at potential candidates to work in my business, I barely even take notice of whether they have a degree or not. I want to see that they're enthusiastic, that they're willing to explore and experiment and learn non-stop in a field that they're passionate about. If you're a writer, I want to see that you write passionately (be it on a blog, short stories, whatever) regardless of who you're writing for or what you're being paid.
    If you're a designer, I want to see that you've built a portfolio of your own outside of varsity, just because you love designing.
    So if you're a marketer, you need to be doing something that cultivates the perception that you are passionate and knowledgeable about all aspects of marketing. That includes selling. But if you can't sell yourself, how do you expect your prospective employer to believe you've got what it takes to sell his products?

Whatever route you go down, whichever job you do eventually go into, you need to realise that there's always going to be shit work to do. It's character building and somebody has to do it. Why shouldn't it be you? Because you studied for 3 years? Please.

If there's one thing I've learned, it's that you're never too important to get your hands dirty. I studied for 5 years to get my degree and honours, and guess what? I still need to photocopy files worth of stuff and take minutes of meetings and fetch coffee for my seniors.

It's not all doom and gloom, though. Your approach and attitude towards these menial tasks can get you insight, experience and others' belief that you're an asset.

Good luck.

Thanks
    Hi Everyone, I have an interview with SAB tomorrow wish me luck...

Page 3 of 11 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast