Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Has Degree.. Is unemployed...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I dont agree with you at all. Everybody wants/needs to buy things from clothes to cell phones. The person that is going to sell the best way etc and motivate me to buy a product and is good at his job will get the sale. You have just sent me you cv - You really should not be saying this, because we have to give the right cv's to our clients and if you are not really into marketing, which is selling at the end of the day, then you are perhaps in the wrong field. This is perhaps why you are having "no luck" finding a job. Perhaps your feeling / attitude towards marketing/sales etc is showing in interviews or phone calls etc and you are turning potential employers off.
    I think I might have given the wrong impression. I feel that I do not have the ability to sell fish hooks wrapped in tinfoil as diamond earnings. this is what a salesman should do I think. I love doing the behind the curtains marketing.
    The only time that I would do sales is, if there is a demand for the product or if I have a product that is more suprior to what the business client is already using. also rather B2B then B2C..

Thanks
    I dont agree with you at all. Everybody wants/needs to buy things from clothes to cell phones. The person that is going to sell the best way etc and motivate me to buy a product and is good at his job will get the sale. You have just sent me you cv - You really should not be saying this, because we have to give the right cv's to our clients and if you are not really into marketing, which is selling at the end of the day, then you are perhaps in the wrong field. This is perhaps why you are having "no luck" finding a job. Perhaps your feeling / attitude towards marketing/sales etc is showing in interviews or phone calls etc and you are turning potential employers off.
    If you can organise a sales position where they actually learn me how it works, then I will be willing to try it. but these advertisements that promise this utopia by saying "You could ear up to 30 000 rand for just doing 5 hours work a day" you know those companies are very dodgy.

Suspended
    Thanks
    I have a BBA: Marketing Management Degree which I obtained from the IMMGSM.
    You have this degree, but don't want to do sales and want to be taught how it works and then be "willing" to give it a try, and don't like sales ! ?
    Tell me honestly Charl - how many companies do you think will do this and if so what do you think they will pay ?
    And
    What would make you stand out to a potential employer - what have you got that he wants ?

Thanks
    You have this degree, but don't want to do sales and want to be taught how it works and then be "willing" to give it a try, and don't like sales ! ?
    Tell me honestly Charl - how many companies do you think will do this and if so what do you think they will pay ?
    And
    What would make you stand out to a potential employer - what have you got that he wants ?
    Kevin, I just do not believe that I have the aptitude to convince someone to buy a product that they do not need. I studied this degree because I would like to be a market analyst for a reputable company. I enjoy market research, brand management, marketing management. I am a easy going person and I can easily talk to people. I have been told by people that I am likeable with first impressions and poeple enjoy talking to me.

An like I said if I could be mentored and trained in sales then I would be willing to give it a shot because I am unfamiliar with the field.

I am willing to learn, I can adapt easily, I work hard, I am a perfectionist so i get it done right. and I am a nice person. I have skills in market research, I can present this research. I can develop marketing strategies and brand strategies.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I guess we all see things differently. I'll leave you to sort out where this sequence went with Kevin and what he sees in it. My angle is in a rather different direction.

So far we have:
    Quote Originally Posted by Random Hero View Post
    I do not think I have the guts to sell products to people by means of manipulating them to buy stuff they do not need.
    I picked on this particular aspect in your thinking because I doubt it's the real obstacle, and asked:

Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    But you're prepared to develop and manage marketing campaigns that do just that?
    (Just asking / giving you some food for thought).
    To which you reply:

I thing developing these strategies are a bit different then selling off to someone... at the end of the day, these people make the decision to purchase products.
    Which confirms your "moral objection to manipulating people" isn't the real obstacle.

It's OK. That's the case with most people (both the excuse and the fact that it's not the real obstacle). It just slays me that I find so many folk with marketing educations that just don't know what the fundamental elements of a truly professional salesperson are. Oh, and to be clear -

Where as hard selling/direct selling is, I feel intrusive and people just give in after hearing you talk a lot, ending up regretting there purchase.
    That's not it.

Out of idle interest, just how much has this marketing degree cost to get so far?

Thanks
    I recently joined this forum because I was hoping that I could interact with professional people and get help and tips on building my career. not be bombarded with pseudo nonsense and having my morals and integrity questioned.

Good day

Thanks
    You have this degree, but don't want to do sales
    And Kevin, I did not go to university and studied for 3 years of my life to do a job that is available to any school leaver. If I wanted to be a salesman then I would have done that from the age of 19. So if you cant give me constructive information then rather not respond.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    And Kevin, I did not go to university and studied for 3 years of my life to do a job that is available to any school leaver.
    And bingo! There it is

Seriously, you asked for tips.
    First one. If you can't land a marketing job straight off because of your degree, then try getting there via sales. It's valuable experience and at least in the meantime it'll put some food on the table.

Second one. You can try to BS the world, but don't ever BS yourself. "To your own self be true."

Third one. Don't let false ego get in your way. It's just way too expensive.

Last one from me. Don't take my word for it. By all means test it for yourself.
    Last edited by Dave A; 15-Apr-15 at 07:16 PM.

9. Thanks given for this post:

HR Solutions (16-Apr-15)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    This is tough on you. Forumites are giving damn good advice & you're throwing tantrums. I'd said/ like to say the very same/similar things said above to my son and can get barely 30% of the way before he is in a defensive mode and the discussion is lost.

Well he's now planning to go Korea and i'm hoping it is for the right reasons and simply not because i'm on his back (as he maintains). I'm of the opinion that 75% of the people do what they're not happy doing for a living.Have you ever given thought to changing career paths?

My eldest son(37 yrs) qualified as a doctor, served his internship, worked in hospitals,also some private locums. He is now a 100% businessman involved in the sale of vehicle accessories!! Sounds crazy to me. But he prefers that to medicine.
    Last edited by flaker; 15-Apr-15 at 08:59 PM.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Lol .... Now perhaps u understand why you are not having much luck.

Page 2 of 11 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast