What most so called experts keep forgetting about small business is;-
1) Small businesses are not 'little big businesses'.
2) Because most if not all small businesses have a limited admin capacity all the bureaucratic crap tends to swamp the owner (who usually is the admin manager) with compliance issues preventing him from concentrating on the business aspect of the operation.
3) Tax is too punishing and VAT compliance is far too complicated. (maybe a reasonable minimum turnover before even registering for tax and VAT but because bigger businesses require vat registration allow the small business the advantage of being able to supply as if they were registered so that they can grow to the stage of compliance)
4) Employment interference is really onerous as union, tax and other compliance tends to create the preference of outsourcing rather than employing inhouse.
5) Banks are a burden on small businesses, sometimes charges are excessive or punitive and when will they realize that sometimes there is no income or cashflow for any number of reasons resulting in a number of months of no activity and closing an account because of this lack of movement is detrimental to future deposits. ( reasons could be that the whole cashflow is tied up in a contract with a larger organization and that payment is slow because of compliance or other issues and that sometimes the business has no option but to do this type of business.)
6) Government should stop concentrating on black entrepreneurship and BBBEE and include all entrepreneurship because the number of white entrepreneurs are also able to create the employment they desire.
I was reading this article in Daily Maverick http://www.dailymaverick.co.za/artic.../#.VRUIYo6iRR4
I kept on thinking "Who are the owners of small businesses and why are there so few entrepreneurs" when I began to think that they were meaning 'Black Entrepreneurs' and I also began to think that that is bullshit because there are millions of black entrepreneurs beginning with car guards, hawkers and all these roadside sales guys, every single small 'Spaza' and even the small 'Shebeens' as well as the township repair crowd and a myriad other business such as creches etc. all tiny businesses that could use government help but don't bother because then they appear on the radar they are taxed, adminned and interfered to death.