Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: When to DIY and when not to DIY

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Good to see we were on the same page after all.

While we're on common problem areas with this DIY business, let's not forget replacing a light fitting with a ceiling fan (often incorporating a light or more too).
    Again, prior to the 2009 regs change, something that didn't necessarily need to happen under the general control of an accredited person.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Good to see we were on the same page after all

While we're on common problem areas with this DIY business, let's not forget replacing a light fitting with a ceiling fan (often incorporating a light or more too).
    Again, prior to the 2009 regs change, something that didn't necessarily need to happen under the general control of an accredited person
    Did it not say in the EIR before 2009 about changing of characteristics of circuit or addition / alteration that it must be done by an "accredited person" ?

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    For some time the "promoted view" was you're just replacing one fixed appliance with another...

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Food for thought. Did you know when changing a normal incandescent globe to a fluorescent globe you are actually converting the fitting to a discharge luminary? Thus having to get a compliance certificate...
    but hey that is probably a whole other discussion by itself

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post

Again, prior to the 2009 regs change, something that didn't necessarily need to happen under the general control of an accredited person.
    Despite all the information I have gathered, I still feel unsure of where the red line is for DIY projects. As I understand no new circuit is allowed without the presence of a qualified electrician, but am I still allowed to replace my own faulty wall sockets and light switches?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dirkie View Post
    Despite all the information I have gathered, I still feel unsure of where the red line is for DIY projects. As I understand no new circuit is allowed without the presence of a qualified electrician, but am I still allowed to replace my own faulty wall sockets and light switches?
    I think I have found the answer to my own question, and it is no, you are not allowed to change a broken wall socket or light switch. Hopefully someone who knows better can confirm. According to the Explanatory notes on the Electrical Installation
    Regulations, 2009:

"electrical contractor" means a person who undertakes to perform electrical
    installation work on behalf of any other person, but excludes an employee of
    such first-mentioned person;

"installation work" means -
    (a) the installation, extension, modification or repair of an electrical
    installation;

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.