Thread: Price of CoC and Own electrical work for CoC?

Thanks

Price of CoC and Own electrical work for CoC?

Hey everyone,

I am selling a property and I have contacted a few electricians. One wants over a grand just to come out and inspect, the other wants R600 and will supervise me doing the electrical work myself as long as it is just changing a plug. What is the standard here?

I know that one plug needs replaced. The house is recently built with a pretty solid installation. I watched the original installation electrician do all the tests, unfortunately he is busy with a large construction project in another province now.

Email problem
    Thanks
    depends on the size of the house. R600 sounds very cheap.

Thanks
    Agreed, unless this is a very small house with only a few circuits you could be looking at 3 hours work or more just to test and inspect so R600 is cheap to the point where I'd be suspicious. I don't see the point of replacing a broken socket yourself, if you tell the sparky in advance that one is broken he can bring one with him and it will take a minute or two for him to change it.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Agreed, unless this is a very small house with only a few circuits you could be looking at 3 hours work or more just to test and inspect so R600 is cheap to the point where I'd be suspicious. I don't see the point of replacing a broken socket yourself, if you tell the sparky in advance that one is broken he can bring one with him and it will take a minute or two for him to change it.
    Agreed. Usually a small townhouse inspection costs just over R1000.00 and anything larger will cost more according to the size,up to a max of about R2000.00. [domestic housing]
    Personally, due to the controversy surrounding the COC and the risks associated with it, I won't consider getting involved in a Coc unless the customer is prepared to pay top dollar. It's a lot easier to fix a gate motor for a few grand.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    We charge for call out and labour per hour spent of inspection. The larger the property, the more difficult it is to reach electrical points and more difficult it is to move around in roof spaces the longer it will take and the more it will cost.

We do a visual and tests inspection "Should" everything comply a invoice is given for inspection (which rarely happens) and once paid in full the CoC is issued, copied and handed over to client at no extra charge.

Should faults have been found, needed to be rectified for CoC, a invoice for inspection is issued and once paid in full a detailed quotation of work extent and materails to be used is given to client and should client require, photos of faults found.

Time spent on small town house are about 4hours. On larger 200sqm houses it takes a full day (all depending on complication/difficulty of installation) Town houses range around R1.5k and larger 200sqm houses around R3k (no faults)

"I used to have a lot of anger issues, now I just have a passion for justice"

6. Thanks given for this post:

ACEsterhuizen (24-Apr-15)

Email problem
    Thanks
    DieterT does your estimate on time spend in a small house ( 4Hrs) only include inspection ? what would be a reasonable Call out fee and per hour rate ?

Thanks

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Hi Julies.

Yes on a small house estimate of 4hours it's only for inspection with intention to issue CoC (everything compliant gives you a CoC no extra charges)

Reasonable would be R350 for call out within 20km and then every 10km thereafter R100 additional or set price per area outside area of service and R350 per hour for labour (1× Wiremans + 1× Labour)

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by DieterT View Post
    Hi Julies.

Yes on a small house estimate of 4hours it's only for inspection with intention to issue CoC (everything compliant gives you a CoC no extra charges)

Reasonable would be R350 for call out within 20km and then every 10km thereafter R100 additional or set price per area outside area of service and R350 per hour for labour (1× Wiremans + 1× Labour)

Your charging half what I am.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Thanks
    Well this is an issue here in the Cape.....
    We did CoC,s for an average 3 bed house R1300-00.We do open up plug points here and there, Well here in the Cape you do get the kitchen guy that puts flex under. the tiles,
    Invoice for the inspection issued and once paid for, the estimate for the repairs given. 'The repairs are done at a reasonable price,

Now you get the firm that does the COC test for R350-00. He is very popular. His repairs come to a ridiculous price, basically a ripoff.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Wow. If I charge those rates I will have a lot of free time on my hands, but, this is Welkom after all.