Hi Guys,
With loadshedding upon us and the frequency may be going up I looked at how we should manage it.
Loadshedding in Jhb is now scheduled at 4½ hours then lasts 5 hours.
We bought a lot of UPS so we can close down the computers and server gracefully.
My current situation is there is no logical place to put a generator permanently we have a narrow passage at the back of the shop which gets flooded when it rains.

The current thinking is just to power on 2 computers the router modem and an inkjet printer so we can do quotes invoicing and design work during loadshedding , the main production machines ratings are 9 10 and 20amps on single phase power. And generally we can catch up production within a day after loadshedding.

So for the computers etc. I totaled up the wattage and came to 1003 watts. Then got a quote for a 5 hour invertor and battery solution this was totally out of what we can afford presently.
Then looked at the power consumption and the 80% draw was 2 power supplies to the PCs at 400 watts each.

Now I need some opinions is it worthwhile changing the PCs to something like an Intel NUC which only draws 65w. And would knock of at least 600w from the 1000w current setup. Does anyone have experience with them and can they handle 2 screens and 2 hard drives?

Also using the crystal balls how severe and long is this current loadshedding going to be? This makes planning so hard.