Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What's in a name?

Thanks

What's in a name?

Hi all, a lot of valuable knowledge on this site.

I placed this under this topic as I consider branding and marketing to go hand in hand...

I am going to make this a little sketchy as to not infringe on forum rules:

45 years ago my uncle started a tyre business (Let's call it Kruger & Sons) in a small suburb in Capetown, bordering on the Winelands, Industrial areas as well as residential (Let's call it Bordertown). The business changed hands in about 2001 and in 2010 My dad, my brother and I bought it back. It has changed from one franchise to another over the years (before we owned it) and we are currently with one of the top rated franchises (Let's call it Vital tyres) in the industry. We have always been trading under the name my uncle started the business with using the franchise name in conjunction, for example: "Vital tyres, Kruger & sons" This drew in some nostalgia from our older and more loyal customers"

Lately we have been receiving pressure from our franchisor to trade under the name "Vital tyres, Bordertown" Our argument has been that "Kruger & sons" has been around long before "Vital tyres"....but lately I have given it some thought.

Keeping in mind that we are not on the main road...Where branding is concerned (vehicles, bumper stickers, lightboxes etc) if we brand our vehicle as "Vital tyres, Kruger & sons" nobody will know we are in "Bordertown" Alternatively, if we trade under the name "Vital tyres, Bordertown" people who see it will hopefully remember there is a "Vital tyres" in "Bordertown" next time the need tyres.

What is your thinking on this Gents?

Thanks
    My sentiments argue for "Kruger & Sons" and I would not have it changed on a whim of another party.

However, if the new name is really as snappy and logical and excellent as "Vital" and if the name change helps secure the survival of the business then changing it is fully justifiable and the correct course to take. Also, loyal clients will never drop you just because your name changed.

Good luck, its not an easy decision to make
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    For new customers I suppose that the "Bordertown" name would work best. If I needed tyres and I was down your way, I would google Vital Tyres and look for the one closest to me.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Thanks
    I would go with both, but just change it around a bit to please the franchisor, who's point I also get.

For example, Kruger & Sons in small letters at the top, followed by the logo in large letters "Vital Tyres Bordertown" You can even add Est. 1970 somewhere at the bottom, just to finish it off.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannes Botha View Post
    Lately we have been receiving pressure from our franchisor to trade under the name "Vital tyres, Bordertown" Our argument has been that "Kruger & sons" has been around long before "Vital tyres"....but lately I have given it some thought.
    The cynic in me suggests the franchisor is seeking to disenfranchise you of any goodwill that may reside in the name of Kruger & sons.

Thanks
    That is our conundrum. Goodwill in existing name vs "Vital tyres" as n brand, which is the top franchise as voted by consumers to answer pmbguy's as to the snappyness ;-)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Hannes Botha View Post
    That is our conundrum. Goodwill in existing name vs "Vital tyres" as n brand, which is the top franchise as voted by consumers to answer pmbguy's as to the snappyness ;-)
    Oh sorry, and also trading under the "Vital tyres Border town" banner will be easier to find on the "Vital tyres" national website. But with our current name, customer would have to read every address....

Thanks
    "Vital Tyres, Bordertown, Kruger and Sons" would seem to cover it all.
    In the phone book you will appear under 'K' as 'Kruger & Sons' as well under 'V' as Vital Tyres.
    On the Vital Tyres website you will appear as 'Vital Tyres Bordertown'?

Then five years later if you change franchises again you will be 'Better Tyres, Bordertown, Kruger and Sons'
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Thanks
    That's exactly what my local tyre shop did. I have supported Jody's Tyres for many years. Initially they were just Jody's Tyres, but have also since had several franchise agreements. The latest was Hi-Q, but I think they have changed again to Best Drive, or something like that.

They still use Jody's Tyres on their logo. See attached screen shot.

Cheers

KC
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	Jodys Tyres.jpg 
Views:	197 
Size:	43.6 KB 
ID:	5346  

Thanks
    But is their location also on their logo? For example, if somebody moved into that area and sees a Hi-Q bakkie driving around there would they realise "oh there's a Hi Q in Cresta (?)" The real question is...what weighs heavier, goodwill or "Vital tyres" as a Brand name. Maybe "Kruger & sons, trading as Vital tyres Bordertown".....but you won't be able to put that on ALL your advertisements...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.