Thread: Perhaps now is the time to tell school leavers

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Perhaps now is the time to tell school leavers

Where are the jobs?
    It is inspiring to complete your 12th year of schooling. The future beckons bright. And while we might not be bushy tailed at least we still have a lot of hair.

Except our parents do not think so. Parents worry. And journalists are happy to trot out trite articles each year about school leavers facing uncertain futures because formal jobs have become scarce.

Jobs have been scarce since I left school at the end of 1975. Despite that, in the forty years since then, I have yet to meet anyone who never found work.

We equate "bright future" with "stable income". And failing that we equate "bright future" with "a job at any income". We blame the system when we can't find a job at a corporate trough because those seats are reserved. In my case those jobs were reserved for anyone who did not have diabetes. It's been the best thing that ever happened to me.

We think that adversity in any form is bad. It isn't. Adversity is not the opposite of a bright future. Adversity is the fertile soil in which a bright future blooms. Adversity is the icing on the home-baked cookie that school delivers.

Think about it. What life skills do we learn if we walk into the first job we apply for? Ten rejections teach us more than the five years we spent at high school.

If your youngster cannot "find" a job may I suggest clearing a play space in the garage? Hang up a few posters of people like Steve Jobs and Bill Gates :-)

They were kids when I was looking for my first job, except that they were playing with bits of wire and soldering irons. They not only made their own jobs, but they created highways that you and I have explored throughout our lives. That won't happen if you start working at a big firm.

The best time to start out on your own is while you are still living at home. And with a smartphone the world is truly in your hand. And you can do it while churning out the CVs...

Earn Income Anywhere
    Want extra income without giving up your day job? Want to work from home? Earnster.Ninja is a 12 month mentoring program for you to build online income streams. You work at your own pace. I have lived from online income for 14 years. You can too.
    Read more...

Warm regards

Peter Carruthers
    editor@petesweekly.com
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    True, but the problem is that most parents are totally insecure and lack knowledge to guide their children...In general children also don't really want to work, they would far rather do nothing all day..

Suspended
    Thanks
    Both statements are so true and from the recruitment industry side, adrian is so right - so many youngsters do not want to work. I have mentioned this before and a guy that has recently left the forum would totally disagree with me, but it is a fact. It is not all of the youngsters, but it is a great percentage of them that do not want to work and think that society owes them. I have two "youngsters' myself and I have ensured that the first one has got her degree and my son is in 3rd year so I am equipping them for the wide would out there. The rest is basically up to them. But the fact remains - there is plenty of work out there for qualified people that are prepared to work hard etc etc etc. Yes to tie down a job is more difficult because companies are wanting more qualifications, but to a youngster who realises this and gets out there, studies and is prepared to work, they will get the job.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    I am equipping them for the wide would out there.
    A Freudian slip of epic proportions 'wild (would, wood, hood)' all suffice.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The world needs artisans. There will always be work for tradesmen. The problem is that young people see a degree as the answer to getting a job. A woman who is a skilled hairdresser is far better equipped to look after herself than a woman with a BCOMM. The hairdresser can make a living in her own lounge or even at her customer's home, she does not need to be employed by anybody to get by.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Lol .... sorry wynn..... hopefully it was read as "world" ..

7. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (01-Dec-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I need to learn how to delegate and run a business then I could offer lots of people work. I need to figue out how to expand and need to take more chances. I blame the youngsters I have employed over the years for being lazy, but I believe if I trained and delegated more I would have grown. Let's see what 2015 brings. Maybe I should be looking at the schools next year for the bright go getters and offer them jobs in 2016, like some of the corporate companies do.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.