Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast

Thread: The Electrical Certificate of Compliance explained

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by rozzer View Post
    My problem is...this is going to continue with the installers unless they are advised otherwise and people will not be aware
    of the hazard until it is either too late or they decide to buy or sell.
    The installers are aware. Evidence suggests they have made a conscious decision to ignore the requirement.

The curious bit is who is culpable for allowing the "lapse"?
    The installer or the user/lessor of the electrical installation?

Thanks
    Maybe DSTV should advertise the issue in the interest of their customers, when all said and done their official
    installers are doing it too.

Email problem
    Thanks
    Good Morning

What is the next step after i have completed installation rules paper 1 and 2 and i am a qualified electrician??

Thanks
    Hi there guys.

I know nothing about electrical stuff but have recently got someone in to do a CoC for my townhouse as I am selling.I have done nothing electrically since I bought 5 years ago and obviously the person i bought from obtaineda CoC. I have now been quoted R2300 to fix small things around the house in order to be compliant. The things are:
    Putting an overload label on my DB
    Too many circuits on the existing breakers so they need to move some to a separate one
    Tightening a switch
    Ferruling 7 switches neutral wires
    Installing an isolator for my aircon
    Removing two fixed lights which are connected via wall plugs which is apparently not allowed.

I am in Joburg North, does this sound like a fair cost (it excludes the Coc price) and are all these things in fact necessary for compliance.

Many thanks for your help!

Thanks

That's true, and the guy is still cheap,

Quote Originally Posted by kitkat777 View Post
    Hi there guys.

I know nothing about electrical stuff but have recently got someone in to do a CoC for my townhouse as I am selling.I have done nothing electrically since I bought 5 years ago and obviously the person i bought from obtaineda CoC. I have now been quoted R2300 to fix small things around the house in order to be compliant. The things are:
    Putting an overload label on my DB
    Too many circuits on the existing breakers so they need to move some to a separate one
    Tightening a switch
    Ferruling 7 switches neutral wires
    Installing an isolator for my aircon
    Removing two fixed lights which are connected via wall plugs which is apparently not allowed.

I am in Joburg North, does this sound like a fair cost (it excludes the Coc price) and are all these things in fact necessary for compliance.

Many thanks for your help!

Thanks
    Are the lights "fixed" or "secured"?

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Mabheka View Post
    Good Morning

What is the next step after i have completed installation rules paper 1 and 2 and i am a qualified electrician??
    Hi Mabheka

Just confirm following.
    1. Have you completed N3 or Technical Matric with subjects (Maths, Science, Trade Theory)
    2. UStandards on Test and Inspect, Issue of COC.

If not those are the outstanding requiremants for yoy to become Registered.

Regards
    TDMI

Thanks
    Hi all,

I have been doing my nut to find out some of the information regarding a CoC. I line in a complex and got an electrical to do the CoC. I was not expecting anything untowards as there had been no changes to the installation since buying the place (and getting a CoC). However I received a bill of over 5K to fix stuff.

Unfortunately it is very easy for an electrician to pull one over on the unsuspecting consumer, so I hope someone can answer some questions I have.

1. DSTV dish - does this have to be earthed even if it is on the side of a building? To explainn further, there is a normal aerial on the roof which is earthed. The dish is below the roof line.
    2. I have a small extractor fan above the oven. The extractor wire is neatly installed to the nearest plug point and uses a normal 3 point plug (about 2m). I am told the plug top needs to be extended into the cupboard so that the extractor lead is within 1m?
    3. Roof wiring. I was told that the flex use in the ceiling for the lights, which is in every single unit in the complex needs to be replaced with twin + earth. The existing wiring is two wires wrapped in an earth mesh. Is this true? Does this eman that every single unit needs to have it's wiring replaced? What are the standards?

Many thanks in advance. I dont mind getting the setup legal, but I hate being ripped off.

Cheers,

Thanks
    The regs are constantly changing and the earthing of DSTV dishes was introduced in one of the ammendments, also there was also a requirement introduced for an earth bar to be installed in the ceiling space.

The flex for the lighting may or may not be illegal but can't say for sure without a photo. The extractor would be classed as a fixed appliance and again may or may not require alterations.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    also there was also a requirement introduced for an earth bar to be installed in the ceiling space.
    At the risk of barking up the wrong tree - If that is a reference to the "readily accessible earthing terminal" for the bonding of other services, I had better point out there's a change between edition 1.8 and 2.0.

In 2.0, 6.11.5 is amended to read:
    A readily accessible earthing terminal may be provided for the bonding of other services such as a telephone, an audio or a video system, and the like, to a building.

In essence, the provision of a readily accessible earthing terminal has now become optional.

Quote Originally Posted by dav View Post
    2. I have a small extractor fan above the oven. The extractor wire is neatly installed to the nearest plug point and uses a normal 3 point plug (about 2m). I am told the plug top needs to be extended into the cupboard so that the extractor lead is within 1m?
    In trying to consider all possibilities -

The "default" requirement for fixed appliances supplied through a socket-outlet is -
    6.16.1.5 A socket-outlet shall supply only one fixed appliance. The use of flexible cords of length exceeding 3 m is not recommended.

However, this applies "except where otherwise required for specific cases."

Nothing struck me as a specific case that warranted an exception, but there might be something applicable...

If there was a disconnecting device (essentially an isolator) rather than a socket outlet in play, it would have had to have been within 1.5 meters of the fixed appliance by default. (6.16.1.4).

Page 5 of 28 FirstFirst ... 3456715 ... LastLast