Thread: Windows 10 - Technical Preview

Thanks

Windows 10 - Technical Preview

I've just installed Windows 10 (technical preview version) onto a virtual drive on my Mac.

Initial impressions are that it will be a winner compared to Windows 8!

Anyone else had a look yet?
    Neville Bailey - Sage Pastel Accounting Consultant
    www.accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    neville@accountingsoftwaresupport.co.za
    IronTree Online Solutions

"Give every person more in use value than you take from them in cash value."
    WALLACE WATTLES (1860-1911)

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    only read the reviews. Waiting to see pricing \ free upgrades first

Currently on Windows 8.1

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I'll wait for service patch 3!

4. Thanks given for this post:

AndyD (03-Oct-14)

Thanks
    ^^^^ what he said. I'm interested to hear why it made a good impression on you Neville but in general I find it very difficult to get excited about new Microsoft operating systems.

Thanks
    The biggest problem for me with upgrading software is drivers for your machines. There are ways around it by getting RIPs for your printers and setting up hot folders or just carry on with the old software. But that costs more and requires more steps.
    And when will the programmers learn when you tick collate in the software and the driver means you really want to collate and not cancel the collate instruction, some common sense logic needs to prevail.

Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    The biggest problem for me with upgrading software is drivers for your machines. There are ways around it by getting RIPs for your printers and setting up hot folders or just carry on with the old software. But that costs more and requires more steps.
    And when will the programmers learn when you tick collate in the software and the driver means you really want to collate and not cancel the collate instruction, some common sense logic needs to prevail.

+1 Sometimes I feel they just don't "think" at all. Sometimes it's a situation of they went out of their way to spend an extra month worth of coding just so they could introduce a bug without any new feature added.

Quote Originally Posted by Neville Bailey View Post
    I've just installed Windows 10 (technical preview version) onto a virtual drive on my Mac.

Initial impressions are that it will be a winner compared to Windows 8!

Anyone else had a look yet?
    I've downloaded the ISO and will be installing into a VM this weekend as well (though on my Linux, but shouldn't make much difference). I'd like to compare notes once I've done my "test drive".

But I'm with the others about waiting for updates before committing to a new OS. Especially since this seems like nothing "new" at all. Just a situation of tools I'd have installed anyway in W7/W8/W8.1 now being standard built-in. E.g. the start menu ... and multi-desktop environments ... big "whoop".

Edit: BTW if anyone else wants to testdrive, Ms is giving a free preview version (time limited I think). http://www.theverge.com/2014/10/1/68...eview-download
    Though be warned ... if you do decide to install this ... ensure you do so in a PC/laptop you don't care for much. Or better a VM. So it doesn't inadvertently stuff up your hardware and other software/data.

This Wen (sorry seen that nickname for WinTen and it sort of stuck) seems to be another nail in W8/8.1's coffin: http://www.neowin.net/news/windows-8...nues-dominance
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    OK, been giving it some "gas" for about a week now. It seems to work pretty well, though there are glitches (as I'd expect from a preview program). My biggest problem was that I couldn't install VirtualBox's client extensions so graphics was mediocre (at best) thus any graphics intensive program (2D/3D) performed like molasses.

Not too much "wrong" IMO with the actual "design" of Wen. But it's not as if there's anything "new" either ... not necessarily a bad thing. I think it finds a reasonable common ground between W7 and W8 UIs ... such that anyone comfortable in one or the other shouldn't feel totally lost in the transition to W10. Of course there were some stuff not "yet" implemented properly - e.g. getting to charms using only the mouse was not as easy as with W8. But my guess is it was just not implemented for the preview version, using WinKey+C still opened charms like before.

Here's another summary of opinions voted on: http://winsupersite.com/windows-10/h...sts-windows-10
    Some of those I feel indicates priorities are a bit "confuzzled" ... I mean ... "beatify the startup screen" ... really? I'd rather it didn't exist at all and just booted up as quickly as possible.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

9. Thank given for this post:

AmithS (13-Oct-14), Dave A (13-Oct-14)