As a sole prop, what can I deduct from all my rental income as expenses ?
I receive rental income from two units.
I am not employed.
My wife is employed.
We are married in community.
I can do most of the the work on the rental units myself.
We own one town house, fully paid cash, and have my primary residence on bond, which we are still paying.
We receive Rental income from the townhouse as well as a granny flat on our primary residence.
Can I deduct the following ...
1) Deduct Maintenance costs on the unit for materials. eg I needed to repaint one unit and fit doors to another unit, as well as do some plumbing.
2) Deduct a labour rate for the work I can do myself
3) Deduct costs for installing burglar proofing
4) Deduct costs for installing a separate water meter to one of my units
5) Deduct costs for installing a separate electricity meter, or installing prepaid meter
6) Deduct my medical aid expenses
7) Deduct my RA expenses
8) Deduct DSTV, if I offer DSTV in my contract i.e I deduct half the DSTV expense as I will also use DSTV
9) Deduct my office costs, like consumables, telephone, stationery, advertising, printing (especially when trying to procure a tenant)
10) Deduct building/construction costs, if I decide to make alterations or increase the size of one of the units at a later stage in the year
11) Deduct construction costs, if I decide to build a third rental unit in our yard.
Also how will this affect my wife, or can I just declare everything on my tax return ?