Thread: surfix

Email problem
    Thanks

surfix

what are your guys views on using 3 core + earth surfix for single phase,where the bare earth is cut off and the yellow is used as the earth.

Thanks
    I wouldn't see a problem but rather use the bare earth wire and the yellow to double up the earth that way you're improving the earth impedance and you're earthing redundant cores at the same time. Depending on the application you may need to make the colours conform at both ends where terminated by using appropriate coloured heatshrink.

Thanks
    Earth wire should be identified either as a bare skinned wire or with
    green and yellow markings. Dont know the exact reg maybe someone can quote the exact reg but it must be green and yellow not plain yellow or plain green useing an insulated conductor provided it can be identified on both ends ad earth,is a good practise I dislike useing the uninsulated wire but what can you do? Today its all about getting the job done as quickly and cheaply.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by mikilianis View Post
    I dislike useing the uninsulated wire but what can you do? Today its all about getting the job done as quickly and cheaply.
    You can use earth sleeving. If you're ever in the mood for a laugh try order earth sleeve at the local wholesalers

Email problem
    Thanks
    thanks for the replies. my view is that the bare earth wire must be earthed as it makes contact with the aluminium sheath. if the cable is damaged the sheath could liven up,same as earthing of armouring of armoured cable.
    so the best would be using the bare earth and the yellow,if available.
    why i ask is because i lost a huge quote of rewiring lighting in a warehouse.its a hazardous area. the contractor that got the job installed a 3 way bosal connection box at each light.with the surfix cables terminated in the non flameproof boxes.earth wires cut off and yellow used as earth. total fail, we will see what comes of it. oh and the company is one of the biggest "respected" companies in cape town that work in hazardous areas.

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    Surfix wire has a earth sleeve wrapped around the wires touching the bare copper earth thus when connect on both ends causing a much safer implimatation. Since when the wire is damaged or cut it will immediately short out to earth and cause circuit breaker to trip (should the earth resistance be withing limits inaccordance the circuit breaker size, see SANS1042-1)

I for one, should I use 3core surfix cable for single phase supply use the yellow wire for doubling up on earth as it will improve the earth resistance (especially on long runs)

I would say since it is not being used in the way it was intended for it will not pass certification as one of the requirements are that the materials used needs to be used what they have been designed for.

BTW, because someone is a Master Electrician and "well respected" does not mean they do the work right.

Most of the time you find them sitting behind a desk while the "appies" are doing all the work & tests for certification.
    Has he been to site delivering the required supervision and to complete the certificate of compliance?

I recently had 2 clients who does not even know each other complain about the same master electrician who is also "well respected" amongst his land development friends...not for reazon of good work thou...

Well lets just say, the clients are using me now since they got fed up with this guy.

Thanks
    A "yellow" wire does not meet requirements of an earth conductor, it must be bare copper, green or green and yellow. Cutting the bare copper wire off is ridiculous.

Email problem
    Thanks
    another spanner in the works,using 3 core armoured cable for single phase i use the yellow as earth and 3 phase 4 core armoured cable i use the black as the earth. i cant see any other way to do it. just sleeve the earth wire at the ends. or strip the earth wire

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bergie View Post
    i use the black as the earth.
    Also not good Bergie, regs stipulate that "Neutral be black or any other colour which is black"