Thread: FNB phasing out Internet Explorer 8

Thanks

FNB phasing out Internet Explorer 8

So we've been informed that FNB is phasing out Internet Explorer 8 in September 2014.

How do I know what version of Internet Explorer is on my computer and how do I upgrade it if it is not 8?

Are upgrades for Internet Explorer downloaded automatically if Windows is set to update automatically?

Thanks
    You can check the version of Internet Explorer that you are using by starting IE and clicking on the question mark (or help) on the top right hand side of the page.

It will tell you what version you are using and the same window will give you an option of ticking a box which allows that latest version of Internet Explorer to be automatically downloaded. I tend to leave mine unticked and only download when necessary.

If you need to upgrade manually you can go to this site.

http://www.microsoft.com/en-us/downl...9-details.aspx
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Silver Member
    Thanks
    MS is no longer supporting Windows XP as well which is prob why IE8 is being dropped because IE8 comes with XP.

Thanks
    I never really used Explorer and am still on XP. I use FF and have rarely a problem.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Actually I'd highly recommend all companies to stop super-glueing themselves into the old IEs. 8 is already not supported by MS, 9 and 10 is due to be let go as well - estimated last support year for IE10 is 2016 (so if you're developing for IE10, you "know" you need to redo all your stuff in a year or two). http://www.infoworld.com/d/applicati...mandate-249682

For this reason I tend to rather try for FireFox or Chrome, they've tended to be much more consistent between versions (and even between each other). If I make a web page it's always the IE browsers which cause the most headaches! Each version has its own particular strangeness as MS refuses to adhere to ANY sort of standard (even their own). Lately though many web libraries and/or frameworks do tend to abstract the browser specifics away from the programmer, but there's still those gotcha cases where it seems to work fine in tests and then some guy tries to view the page in IE6!!!

Actually I wish for one of 2 things to happen (neither seems as if they would though):
    1. Microsoft to start making consistency a major factor in their browser versions - at least comparable to their competition.
    2. Other companies (e.g. FNB) discontinuing support for all IE browsers and asking their customers to rather use FF/Chrome - I've come across some of these, so perhaps this is the only one which might have a chance.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Silver Member
    Thanks
    The only time I use IE is to download Chrome and Firefox.

Most MS users don't know what a browser is, nor do they know that other browsers exist, so they just use the default installed shit IE and think thats the only option...lol

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Basment Dweller View Post
    Most MS users don't know what a browser is, nor do they know that other browsers exist, so they just use the default installed shit IE and think thats the only option...lol
    Sad but true.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Why the need to know what a browser is? The globe with the e is to get on the "enternet"
    Seriously, get Chrome or Firefox. Even Opera.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Lulzulzuzuzzz@ MS users typing google.com in the omnibox!