Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: banking made simple with standard bank

Diamond Member
    Thanks

banking made simple with standard bank

3 hours later and they still cant get the app to work on my iphone.

But thats not what i am pissed off about, its the fact that i have 6 bank accounts...vehicle finance and a bond and they cant get a simple thing like fica right. Apparently they have been audited again and they "seem" to have misplaced my fica documents, i am told if i dont update my fica info AGAIN within the next couple days they will block all my accounts.

Because of a simple thing like and app which wont work on my iphone I had to visit the bank spent 2 hours getting new passwords etc, calls to their internet banking department, was told i had to remove the app from my phone and reload it, which hasnt worked because the old info is still on the phone.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    got an appointment with FNB business banker on Saturday morning, i am told by other people banking chargers are cheaper, and it wont cost me a cent to more "everything" to FNB.

I have had enough of this crap Standard bank now.

Thanks
    Ian FNB are no angels either, here is my saga with them
    My take on FNB and the need for a backup bank!
    My experience is you are just a number with these banks and the staff couldn't give a damn.
    I still have FNB and a Capitec account.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Bronze Member
    Thanks
    My thought when I saw your thread title is the only way banking is made simple with Standard Bank is to leave them

I have a Capitec and FNB account as well, although I am a little bit worried about the downgrade of Capitec. I was going to close my FNB account, but I think I will leave it open for now.
    Sometimes the only transport available is a leap of faith

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Keep accounts at different banks open and spread the risk.

Dont mean to derail this thread but does anyone know what the insured deposit amount is at these banks?

If you have R5mill in cash and deposit it all into one bank and the bank goes bang...then you lose all your money minus the insured amount, so would it be more worthwile having accounts at multiple banks and keeping your deposits spread around?

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Newretailer View Post
    My thought when I saw your thread title is the only way banking is made simple with Standard Bank is to leave them

I have a Capitec and FNB account as well, although I am a little bit worried about the downgrade of Capitec. I was going to close my FNB account, but I think I will leave it open for now.
    By the people that said Lehman's was AAA rated just before going bang?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think we have all established that bank are all the same, money making machines which are there to take as much as they can with as little expense. The share holders just want to see numbers. If the numbers drop then someone pays either in job loses or whatever.

So now what we need to determine, which i am yet to find is which bank offers the most of what I need for the least amount of money, because really that as a businessman is what we should be looking at. The total cost per month.

Thanks
    Here is an extract from a Biznews article, Standard Bank seem to piss off everyone equally. But the author who says he has owned a software company won't move banks.

It is how you react when things go wrong. It is in your attitude. It is in your response, in your communications, in your admittance to a problem and in your ability to take ownership of, and responsibility for it.

In this Standard Bank have failed so miserably that they deserve censure. And this I give in measure for measure.

Nowhere has it been made apparent to me, or more forcibly, about how as a customer of theirs I exist only to serve them. I exist only to pay for the services that they reluctantly offer for my consumption, for which apparently, I should be eternally grateful.

I am treated like nothing more than their personal piggy bank. Part of the slop in the trough from which they feed. Part of the pie from which they feed.

Which, I understand. This is a South African Bank after all, and who realistically expects anything more? They;re too big to actually give a damn about me and so they play the numbers game – management through systems, categorisation based on profiles whilst spending wads of cash advertising that they care about me as an individual. Bullshit! A little honesty in advertising would go a long way in my particular case. You know? Something like: “We’re a bank. You’re a number. But at least you know where you stand and we will charge you less since we don’t have to invest in millions worth of propaganda telling you otherwise”.

And let me head this off at the hills – no, I am not changing banks because no matter which way you slice it, they are all the same. Been there, done that and now, it is purely because it is Standard Bank that have pissed me off the most that I am singling them out.

The question I have in this crisis is this. Where are the board? Where is the MD? Where is the CEO? These fat cats pulling 20 bar a year – where are they in the middle of a crisis on their watch?

There is no message or hint of an apology from up above. The ivory tower untouchable execs are to all intents and purposes, fiddling whilst their proverbial Rome burns. There is no message on their website. Nothing from their Facebook Page (other than an outdated self-congratulatory accolade about being number one in some or other bank sponsored meaningless survey). Their lackeys there are typing their fingers to the bone saying sorry – but what does that count for? Nothing. Because it comes from a faceless lackey, who genuinely doesn’t care. They’re just paid to type whatever they’re told to type. And we, who use that page, KNOW IT.

Worst there has not been a single means of contact from these overpaid executives who I am afraid are totally out of touch with their customers, to we, their customers. Their means to their yachts. Their holiday pads in the South of France. Not an SMS. Not an e-mail. Not so much as a hint of a fax. Dare I ask for a phone call?
    I wonder if Standard Bank or any of the banks actually care about their customers?
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    Its real simple in my mind. The fat cats on top of banks/corporates do not know about the problems at the bottom. They do not want to know about the problems either as if they know there would be some expectation to something about it. That would mean they actually have to do some work or at least get involved one way or another. I lost count of cases where I tried to get to the top, but I never get there. Typically they are always conveniently in meetings or on leave. When you the ask for the stand in the same meeting/leave response comes. The best is to get to some 'executive in the CEO's office'. At least that is what they call themselves, but I think its just a nudge up from a normal call centre and in fact far away from any CEO.
    Houses4Rent
    "We treat your investment as we treat our own"
    marc@houses4rent.co.za www.houses4rent.co.za
    083-3115551
    Global Residential Property Investor / Specialized Letting Agent & Property Manager

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Houses4Rent View Post
    Its real simple in my mind. The fat cats on top of banks/corporates do not know about the problems at the bottom. They do not want to know about the problems either as if they know there would be some expectation to something about it. That would mean they actually have to do some work or at least get involved one way or another. I lost count of cases where I tried to get to the top, but I never get there. Typically they are always conveniently in meetings or on leave. When you the ask for the stand in the same meeting/leave response comes. The best is to get to some 'executive in the CEO's office'. At least that is what they call themselves, but I think its just a nudge up from a normal call centre and in fact far away from any CEO.
    Next time you call, say that you are Doctor So and So from the huge investment compnay called Houses for Rent, and that you need to revise your portfolio and require the services of the CEO. Since they have not done their homework, your call will be answered
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast