Thread: Network Issue

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries

Network Issue

I have windows 8

I am trying to get on a network for the printer, but alas.
    I used to be on and then my machine crashed after a new update (the automatic ones)

Trying to set up again.
    Computers on network can see me.
    My phone can see all computers.
    My laptop sees one in the main (which does not help me)
    Then a second one popped up (also not the one I need)
    I think we can safely presume that the network is all hunky dory.

Any ideas??
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I am no expert, but maybe this will help.
    1. Disable automatic updates, they cause 90% of computer problems. Don't fix it if it aint broke is the moto I follow.
    2. Not sure about WIN8, but if you go to "My System", select "Action Centre", there should be a ICON, which says "Recovery" or "Restore", click on this item, it may show you a calender (select the last update date) or not, but you can uninstall the last update and be back to where you were, hopefully no settings will have been affected, and theoretically you should be back to the way it was - working
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Also not sure about windows 8, but check that you are on the same workgroup as the printer and make sure that the printer is still marked as "shared".

Sometimes a printer also needs a driver on the computer that is wanting to share it.
    No act of kindness, no matter how small, is ever wasted. - Aesop "The Lion and the Mouse"

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I am totally at my wits end with a similar problem. The Windows 7 machines see the XP machines but the XP machines only see some Win 7 machines. One day it works, the next it doesn't. The XP machines, when they get to see the Win 7 machines they refuse point blank to install the appropriate drivers.

All I can say is that Win 7 & 8 are k@k and their interoperability with other versions of Windows sucks like gravity.

Good luck and may the force be with you!

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The only force around may be a swift one two combination to the machine, alternatively the mouse GETS IT!
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

6. Thanks given for this post:

adrianh (14-Aug-14)

Thanks
    I've been through these irritations for at least the past decade. MS just simply don't know how to make decent networking which you don't need an IT degree for in order to make work. They never did, there's ALWAYS something stupid which for some obscure reason doesn't want to talk to each other. And even if you've got it working one day, there's no guarantee that the same setup would work the following day.

I've found numerous times that the "automatic" ideas of Windows' workgroups (and worse homegroups) tend to go haywire (especially if more than 2 nodes on the network). It's as if the IP - name - resolutions don't work properly, as if there's 2 "DNS servers" contradicting each other.

Anyhow, my advise (especially if you're also using XP or older) turn off homegroups entirely. They just cause $#IT. Work ONLY using workgroups and then ONLY one single workgroup. If at all possible rather get yourself a true domain through using a Linux as a domain server and have all windows machines log into that domain. Said this a few times before:
    http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...ll=1#post83872
    http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...ll=1#post95959
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Gold Member
    Thanks
    Browsing the network is usually the issue. So I just use the IP numbers, whether the computer or device is visible or not, and I usually find that works fine.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by CLIVE-TRIANGLE View Post
    Browsing the network is usually the issue. So I just use the IP numbers, whether the computer or device is visible or not, and I usually find that works fine.
    Absolutely correct! The IP is usually the only way to get around the various issues. But even then with dynamic IP allocation you tend to run into problems - if you leave Windows to allocate its own IPs. Either you need to assign static IPs manually per PC/Printer/Peripheral (not easy on more than around 5 to 10, and very complicated if you throw phones/tablets/laptops in the mix).

Or you need a decent DHCP server instead (again I've found either a true Windows Server or a Linux is your best option for this). In which case that server then also acts as a very good DNS - which negates the necessity to remember each IP even when you know you wish to connect with this or that instead of browsing.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by sterne.law@gmail.com View Post
    I have windows 8

I am trying to get on a network for the printer, but alas.
    I used to be on and then my machine crashed after a new update (the automatic ones)

Trying to set up again.
    Computers on network can see me.
    My phone can see all computers.
    My laptop sees one in the main (which does not help me)
    Then a second one popped up (also not the one I need)
    I think we can safely presume that the network is all hunky dory.

Any ideas??
    Good day Anthony,
    Couple of quick questions if I may:
    1: Is your network a domain network or a simple workgroup?
    2: Is your laptop's IP address dynamically assigned or is it static?
    3: If the IP address is dynamic, how is it assigned? By that I mean is a DHCP server or simply from the ADSL router?
    4: Do you have a password on your laptop?
    5: Is the Windows 8 firewall turned on or off?

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The only thing I've found to work, after having spent many hours experimenting is to use static IP addresses and to speak to the various machines via their addresses. I left DHCP on on the router for the tablets and phones but excluded the static addresses from DHCP. All the machines are able to speak to one another without any problems. I added a switch to the network as well because I have 8 devices including an IP HP JetDirect laser printer and everything is fine, even the printer. It seems to me as if the DNS mechanism gets messed up. ipconfig /flushdns doesn't seem to help at all.