Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Industrial power tool repairs

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Diamond Member
    Thanks

Industrial power tool repairs

The reason I included the industrial in the heading is because generally they would be used in the industry, which would mean they used in production, site work, etc.

Lets see how long it takes to get machines repaired.

Past experience with Hilti - 3-4 days drop off in Springfield, sent to workshop in JHB quote, repaired and collected in Springflield.

Bosch - don't know of a "bosch" in KZN but there is an agency called BNC NATAL who you deal with when you need to buy or service Bosch power tools. Dropped off 2 machines this morning 12/08/2014 which I took out of my scrap box to test their service team. I was told I would hear from them today with a quote, latest tomorrow. I am assuming they will contact me tomorrow.

Rutherfords ( Makita) - dropped of a machine on the 7/08/2014, still waiting for them to contact me with a quote to repair. I have plasters waiting for me to finish chasing the wall. The other sad part is this is the 3 or 4 th time this machine has stopped working. I enquired if it was a common problem with these double chasers. I was told it is not and that this machine is the only one which has had this repair. I am starting to think that it is a dud machine because it is always the same problem, it burns a small hole in the armature for some reason. I think it is time to unload this machine and buy hilti double chaser. I have stopped using the makita vacuum because it cant handle the dust, maybe it is the same issue with the chasing machine.

If you send in a motor for a rewind and pay a little extra sometimes depending on which armature winder you can get it back the same day.

Thanks
    Power tool failures is something I've never been plagued with touch wood. I have lots of them and they're all various makes and they're all very old and still working. The large and small grinders I tend to buy cheaper brands with a view to dumping them when they fail, I've got a couple of Skill grinders and even those have been running for over 5 years trouble free. I have a few SDS drills which are Bosch, Makita and Metabo and they're all at least 7 or 8 years old. The only power tools I've bought in the last few years is a Bosch 18V 4Ah cordless set with drill, grinder, multi-tool and SDS drill. I'd highly recommend them.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ians, could it be that the tools are being misused, in other words no thought is given to the tool while in use by overloading them. When I watch my staff working with my tools, I am always critical at explaining to them that to push the grinder very hard into the material, and slowing the motor down dramatically is actually not doing the job right. Firstly there is a tremendous amount of strain placed on the cutting discs, which could cause cracks and fateful destruction of the disc when a crack appears and disintegrates at high RPM, and secondly, the forcing of the motor when overloaded causes huge currents to flow through the armature and heating the core very quickly, and if sufficient time is not allowed to cool will cause the enamel on the copper windings to fail and a damaged tool.

I saw a video many years ago showing how a wheel disintegrates, but can not seem to find it. Anyway I found this video which gives some info- please note there are graphic pictures.

Another graphic explanation of the danger of a grinder
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Funny you should say that, was the same response i got from Rutherfords. Operator error. I am the only person who chases with my dustless equipment, it cost me a lot of money so i look after it and dont allow any of my staff to use it. I have an old 20 year old metabo grinder which is still working for them to use. The question i ask once again is why then is the safety cut out not working if overloading. It is suppose to be an "industrial machine" it is not like i am trying to cut 50 mm holes with a 125 mm blade etc. I am using it for what it is rated. The other thing is when i asked if other machine had the same problem i was told no other machine. It is always the same problem, a hole in the armature.

Anyway, what ever the reason what concerns me more than the fact that the machine is broken again is that i still havent heard from them with a quote for the repair.

I got a call from the Bosch service centre today with a quote. Like i said the machine were in my scrap box it was merely a test to see what turnaround time each company has for repairs. They passed.

Rutherfords (Makita) has failed hands down.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Scary thing about working construction sites is i get to see these accidents first hand. One of the reason i get pissed off if I see a fool doing stupid things on site because they not only endanger their own lives but those of my staff and myself.

I watched a person loose his fingers at RBM, i had to go and tell him that his fingers were off, he was still pushing the crane with his stumps.

I watched an elderly chap fall from the roof of the Chatsworth centre and actually bounce on the floor.

After warning a person at Alusaf numerous times not to sit on the wall, he fell and held onto the ceiling support straps all the way to the ground, his hands are now stuck in the same position because it cut right to the bone in his fingers and hands.

I hit the nails off 2 fingers in one blow with the hammer, it wasnt as painful as i expected because there was no swelling behind the nail. when i had all my fingers squashed and nails didnt come off was more painfull because of the swelling.

I could go on for pages, but we will leave it there for now.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    I hit the nails off 2 fingers
    BRRR!!! I get the spinal shivers just thinking about it, funny because I don't react to someone dragging their finger nails across a chalk board.
    "Nobody who has succeeded has not failed along the way"
    Arianna Huffington

Read the first 10% of my books "Didymus" and "The BEAST of BIKO BRIDGE" for free
    You can also read and download 100% free my short stories "A Real Surprise" and "Pieces of Eight" at
    http://www.smashwords.com/books/view/332256

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Update...bosch power tools repaired and ready for collection.

Makita, got a call on friday afternoon with a quote which I didnt accept, now i wait for a response from an enquiry into why the machine has the same problem again.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Diamond Member
    Thanks

Industrial power tool repairs

I have some good news, it looks like I might be able to restore my faith in Makita power tools. It seems the big boss has been hoofed out and a new big wig has taken over. He explained to me why it has taken so long to get back to me with a quote, workshop upgrade, I could live with that, but more important the fella sounds like a reasonable kind of person who is going to improve customer service. After 2 telephone conversations it sounds like things have improved already. I was in process of getting all my makita power together to sell, maybe I will just hang onto to them a while longer see how this works out.
    Comments are based on opinion...not always facts....that's why people use an alias.

Thanks
    I bought a Makita LS 1018 cut-off saw in October last year ( to replace an 8 year old) and it has just packed up (bearing failure). The other 2 machines in the are still going strong after 7 or 8 years. Have contacted the local agents who will call me back. I guess that means Monday, maybe.

Dropped of a Bosch impact drill for service/repair at BSC on Monday - received the quote about 2 hours ago. How long to Service/repair? About another week to 10 days - if the parts are available in Cape Town.

Happy Friday!

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Richard i hear the new mitre saws are "soft"

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast