Generally this would be a topic to steer clear of (pardon the pun), but we South Africans have a deteriorating reputation for our bad driving. One cannot help but notice the launch of a new "competition" by one of the leading insurance companies, whereby they (the relative company) seems to think that a simple cell-phone app. can distinguish a good driver from a bad one? We are being fed the notion that speed is the criteria that distinguishes good from bad, however this is rarely the case.

I personally have achieved 4 competition licenses (3 event and 1 season) and hold dual advanced licenses (skidpan control and urban chaos). I make more than my fair-share of mistakes on the road like any other driver, I have been involved in 4 accidents, one of which was my fault. As you can see, I'm just your average Joe when it comes to driving, but some things boggle the brain. Let's start with a million-dollar question...

What, in your opinion, is the safest speed that one can travel, on any road in any country?

To be continued...