Results 1 to 10 of 10

Thread: Amazon Associates payout

  1. #1
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts

    Amazon Associates payout

    First off, I apologise if this isn't the right section for this. I'm new and still getting to grips with all the different sections. Mods may move this post to the appropriate area if needs be.

    I want to get paid out by Amazon Associates. I haven't reached the cheque payout threshold of $100, so I'm considering Payoneer for Direct Deposit or redeeming my earnings as a gift card for use on Amazon. It's been a while so I'm just thinking about cashing out now. I haven't done too well with Amazon to date, honestly.

    At $80, how bad would the fees be from Payoneer and the bank (I'm with FNB)? Would it be better to just redeem and use the money on Amazon?

    Or should I just wait it out until I hit the cheque payout threshold?

    tl;dr: I'd like to read some opinions on what is the most cost effective way to redeem my earnings from Amazon, without a lot of fees and other unforeseen hassles. I'd like to keep as much of that money as possible, obviously taking tax into consideration.

    Thoughts?

  2. #2
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,978
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    I don't know how Payoneer would work out, but I'm glad you're asking before you make any decisions. That way you will hopefully avoid the school fees I incurred getting my Google AdSense earnings deposited.

    That particular problem has gone away now that Google is paying to SA via EFT nowadays, thank goodness.

    Hopefully someone will have some feedback for you on Payoneer as an option. Do you know how Amazon Affiliates pays out to SA - i.e. does it use an international bank with a local presence to pay out in ZAR or will the transfer be sent in USD?
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  3. #3
    Silver Member Greig Whitton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    I use Payoneer and recommend them highly (in part because their fees are very low), but their minimum withdrawal is $500 so it wouldn't be a worthwhile option if you are only looking to bring over $80.

    Founder of Evergrow - Helping South African business owners grow their business without the growing pains

  4. #4
    Full Member lewskannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillman View Post
    First off, I apologise if this isn't the right section for this. I'm new and still getting to grips with all the different sections. Mods may move this post to the appropriate area if needs be.

    I want to get paid out by Amazon Associates. I haven't reached the cheque payout threshold of $100, so I'm considering Payoneer for Direct Deposit or redeeming my earnings as a gift card for use on Amazon. It's been a while so I'm just thinking about cashing out now. I haven't done too well with Amazon to date, honestly.

    At $80, how bad would the fees be from Payoneer and the bank (I'm with FNB)? Would it be better to just redeem and use the money on Amazon?

    Or should I just wait it out until I hit the cheque payout threshold?

    tl;dr: I'd like to read some opinions on what is the most cost effective way to redeem my earnings from Amazon, without a lot of fees and other unforeseen hassles. I'd like to keep as much of that money as possible, obviously taking tax into consideration.

    Thoughts?
    Firstly, I do not think Payoneer fees are really cheap. Not only will be paying a fee when the funds are paid to your account, but you will also pay a hefty fee when withdrawing the funds at an ATM. If I remember correctly, some time ago, you will look at around R30 for withdrawing funds at an ATM alone. It could be much more now, but I stand corrected as I have not used Pioneer in a very long time.

    If you really do need the cash, go the Pioneer route and be willing to lose about R100-R150 in the process. Hell, you'll still be able to buy a carton of cigarettes

    If you do not need the cash urgently, why not wait the other $20 out and let them send a cheque? You will save more.

  5. #5
    Silver Member Greig Whitton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    I use Payoneer and recommend them highly (in part because their fees are very low), but their minimum withdrawal is $500 so it wouldn't be a worthwhile option if you are only looking to bring over $80.
    Sorry, I should clarify this. Withdrawing funds from a Payoneer account directly to your local bank account involves the minimum withdrawal of $500. However, you could load the funds in your Payoneer account onto your Payoneer debit card and then use it as you would any other pre-loaded debit card. I've only ever used the former approach (i.e. withdrawal to my bank account) so I can't comment on the latter.

    Founder of Evergrow - Helping South African business owners grow their business without the growing pains

  6. #6
    Full Member lewskannen's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2011
    Location
    Johannesburg
    Posts
    38
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 8 Times in 5 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    Sorry, I should clarify this. Withdrawing funds from a Payoneer account directly to your local bank account involves the minimum withdrawal of $500. However, you could load the funds in your Payoneer account onto your Payoneer debit card and then use it as you would any other pre-loaded debit card. I've only ever used the former approach (i.e. withdrawal to my bank account) so I can't comment on the latter.
    Yes, back in the day I refrained from making use of the bank transfer facility, mainly due to the minimum required amount, their fees and the fees of the local bank. Although withdrawal fees are high at ATMs, I used to prefer this method.

  7. #7
    Junior Member
    Join Date
    Aug 2014
    Location
    SA
    Posts
    11
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I don't know how Payoneer would work out, but I'm glad you're asking before you make any decisions. That way you will hopefully avoid the school fees I incurred getting my Google AdSense earnings deposited.

    That particular problem has gone away now that Google is paying to SA via EFT nowadays, thank goodness.
    Was that back before Google started paying out in local currency? I've only ever had cheques in ZAR, and FNB hasn't ever put a foreign draft fee on any of my cheque deposits. Just the regular cheque deposit fee of R15. But yes, thank goodness we can now just EFT it into an account!

    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Do you know how Amazon Affiliates pays out to SA - i.e. does it use an international bank with a local presence to pay out in ZAR or will the transfer be sent in USD?
    I'm not entirely sure seeing as I haven't been paid out by them yet, but I think it would most likely be in dollars.

    Quote Originally Posted by Greig Whitton View Post
    I use Payoneer and recommend them highly (in part because their fees are very low), but their minimum withdrawal is $500 so it wouldn't be a worthwhile option if you are only looking to bring over $80.
    Okay, so withdrawing it to a bank wouldn't be an option for such a little amount. And you'll get shafted with withdrawal fees at an ATM. What about using a Payoneer card at a point of sale, or online?

    I've asked around (mainly Payoneer) and I've received mixed responses, but is Payoneer regulated the same way as PayPal is in SA, i.e. do we have to withdraw funds to a bank account within 30 days? If that's the case, I could get Google AdSense earnings paid into Payoneer as well as the Amazon earnings, making sure the total is over $500, so then I could just get all of it into my account.

  8. #8
    Site Caretaker Dave A's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2006
    Location
    Durban, South Africa
    Posts
    20,978
    Thanks
    3,055
    Thanked 2,462 Times in 2,067 Posts
    Blog Entries
    12
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillman View Post
    Was that back before Google started paying out in local currency?
    No, it was in ZAR.
    And it was only Standard Bank that raised the extra fee on the cheque.

    From the post I linked to -

    Another three opinions.
    Armed with my Google cheque I go visiting ABSA Bank, First National Bank and Nedbank to see if they would charge a foreign draft fee should I choose to deposit my cheque there and if the cheque posed any particular problems to process. The result of this survery revealed:

    • All three have a foreign draft fee.
    • All three would not charge a foreign draft fee if I deposited this cheque with them.
    • All three saw no problem with processing this cheque through the local (South African) interbank clearing system
    The trouble with opportunity is it normally comes dressed up as work.

  9. #9
    Silver Member Greig Whitton's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2014
    Location
    Cape Town
    Posts
    316
    Thanks
    32
    Thanked 99 Times in 81 Posts
    Quote Originally Posted by Pillman View Post
    I've asked around (mainly Payoneer) and I've received mixed responses, but is Payoneer regulated the same way as PayPal is in SA, i.e. do we have to withdraw funds to a bank account within 30 days? If that's the case, I could get Google AdSense earnings paid into Payoneer as well as the Amazon earnings, making sure the total is over $500, so then I could just get all of it into my account.
    Payoneer is less regulated than PayPal. You don't have to withdraw funds within 30 days. You may still need to declare the nature of the funds to your bank when you bring them over (as you would with PayPal), however, this hasn't been a consistency in my experience.

    Founder of Evergrow - Helping South African business owners grow their business without the growing pains

  10. #10
    New Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2017
    Location
    Centurion
    Posts
    1
    Thanks
    0
    Thanked 0 Times in 0 Posts
    Hi Guys,
    I just registered on the forum and are still learning the ropes.
    I heard a lot about the Amazon affiliate program. Is their anyone that knows of a proper platform to get started and how? as I really want to get into the Amazon Affiliate program. Their are so many scams out their, if you know of any legit platform that can help me start up I will highly appreciate it. Thanks guys you are the best.

Similar Threads

  1. Amazon debuts Firefly technology
    By Houses4Rent in forum Technology Forum
    Replies: 3
    Last Post: 03-Jul-14, 09:47 PM
  2. [Question] Calculating Pension Payout
    By steyn.annemarie@gmail.com in forum Accounting Forum
    Replies: 2
    Last Post: 07-Aug-13, 07:59 AM
  3. Members loan payout
    By JENI in forum General Business Forum
    Replies: 5
    Last Post: 16-Mar-13, 12:45 PM

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •