Thread: Need COC advice

Thanks

Need COC advice

Hi All

A client of mine install signs and display boards. One of the jobs was to install LED lights on a pathway leading to the shops doors. The shop requested a COC to certify that the installation is safe. I have inspected the installation and installed the correct wiring, close all connection and did all possible tests.All is fine, earthing and voltages. I am now faced with the following challenges.
    1) The led lights plug into a plug socket 3m away from the pathway.
    2) The pathway is 15m long with the led strip light 2m from the ground.
    3) All transformers and cables are tucked away.
    4) It is a temp installation that will be removed after 3 to 6 months. The lights light up display boards next to the pathway.

Now
    A) How do you issue a COC or certify that the installation is save.

There is then another question.
    If suppliers supply transformers with a European Certificate. There are Over current protection on the transformer. Will this be accepted??

Thanks

Thanks
    If the lighting arrangement plugs into an existing socket it's quite possible that it falls outside the scope of the compliance certificate which is limited to the fixed installation in which case you can't issue a CoC. Often in cases such as this we issue a 'Safety Certificate' where we give details of the item/appliance/machine and basically test it as a portable appliance and deem it safe and fit for use.

The transformer you mention, is it actually an inductive transformer or is it a constant voltage or constant current LED driver?

Thanks
    Thanks

The lights is not in the scope of a fixed installation.
    The transformers are constant voltage LED drivers.

My concern is that on a fixed installation we have to stick to all regulations, but companies that build signs can use what they want. Plumbers can change a geysor and bypass the isolator and cut off all bonding, and the DSTV installer can fit a dish without earthing it.

Thanks
    Chris

Thanks
    The LED driver is a tricky one. There are regs surrounding ELV lighting transformers whereby they require fusing protection but I'm not convinced you'd hold an LED driver to those same requirements because it's a switchmode power supply with loop control and compensation circuitry and definately not a transformer.

I very rarely get involved with CoC's because I work almost exclusively on commercial and industrial control systems so maybe wait for one of the other electricians to offer an opinion.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    If I remember correctly, there isn't even a SANS standard for LED drivers yet,
    or electronic ballasts...

You'll have to rely on the EU certification. Just keep an eye out that the certification actually relates to the component's function, though. Some sneaky so-and-so's have been slapping general administrative practice code references and the like on their fong kong components to make it appear that it meets the relevant code, but when you actually check the code number given...

Thanks
    This has been a problem for a long time, I regularly come across products that have junk ISO numbers on them.

I'm fighting with a supplier at the moment who claimed there VFD's are ISO compliant. They come with four separate ISO standards accreditation references on them but after doing some investigating the numbers refer to standards that dictate (i) the colour coding of the wiring, (ii) the form factor of the plug and socket connections (iii) the composition of the plastics used in construction including the quantities of recycled material (iv) the tolerances of the threaded mounting holes and rail fittings.

All four standards they claim compliance for are just a joke and they can't produce any statements of compliance for the things that matter such as RFI and EMI noise compliance, the standard of output filtering or anything else that indicates the drive's fitness for purpose.

Bottom line is I don't see how a domestic or commercial electrician is expected to plough his way through the minefield that is international compliance and make an informed decision about a products safety or compliance with local requirements.