Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Greetings - Hi All - Central Airconditioning systems Available in SA - Your Opinions your Reviews

Thanks

Greetings - Hi All - Central Airconditioning systems Available in SA - Your Opinions your Reviews

Greetings All. Hope everyone is doing well. Thought this might be a good place to get some Opinions.
    I am not sure If i have the correct forum but would really appreciate anyone whom has a Central Airconditioning System installed at home to give me their thoughts on them, After Sales Service etc.
    I am planning to build a home and interested in this but can hardly find reviews on any of these systems in SA.
    The home magazines only show a Product Called AdvantageAir which I cannot find user reviews on this system.
    Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanking you.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Personally I prefer split airconditioning systems as opposed to central airconditioning.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Personally I prefer split airconditioning systems as opposed to central airconditioning.
    Agree. more especially in a domestic situation. In summer the a/cons are on in some bedrooms only. I could be wrong here but 9,000 & 12,000 BTUs machines barely give trouble.

Thanks
    Understood guys but according to AdvantageAir each room is zoned individually, every room has its own temperature sensor as well. http://www.advantageair.co.za/GENIII/genIII.asp .
    It would be nice if anyone has a system like this running and see what they think about it ?
    I as well am fond of split air con systems but if you would like your house to be one central temperature I think its hard to achieve with split aircons.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogs View Post
    I as well am fond of split air con systems but if you would like your house to be one central temperature I think its hard to achieve with split aircons.
    We certainly do it just fine with lots of split units in my offices. Plus I don't get Mary's bugs from the other side of the building when she gets attacked by a dose of the sniffles.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    You will find that women and men have different temperature comfort levels, with central systems, you have difficulty achieving this as the temperature setting is invariably set for the cooler or higher temperature depending on the season. Yes with a central system you can adjust the airflow to attempt to set the temperature, but this affects circulation.

Another issue with a central system, is that it has to continuously run at a pre-determined setting, if only one room is bring used, where as split systems, if only one room required conditioning, then only that room is operated.

Central systems are more for offices and retail stores.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Will take your opinions into consideration.
    Would still be nice to get a persons point of view who has installed a system in their home as well.
    Over the past few years I have been going to home expo's and I have seen AdvantageAir at all these shows. So surely there must be a market for these systems in the home industry.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Yogs View Post
    So surely there must be a market for these systems in the home industry.
    I'm sure there is. Big, upmarket homes mostly, I'd think. I've certainly had to navigate around enough roofs with central airconditioning piping strewn all over them over the years

Done correctly, central airconditioning certainly has some advantages going for it - the obvious main one being it's easier to conceal away. And the system you point to certainly goes some way to overcome the normal "one setting for all" downside of a central system.

Thinking about it, the industry that would probably give the best clues for pro's and con's on split systems vs central systems would be hotels which allow clients to set their room temperature. However, I've got a sneaking suspicion that those that look like they might be using ducted air might actually still be "split units", just with multiple room units connected to a single evaporator via refrigerant carrying lines, as typically you can adjust the fan speed as well.

Thanks
    You get split central air con systems where there's an air handling unit indoors which contains the cooling coil and a fan plus you also get packaged central air con systems where all the machinery is packaged in the outdoor unit and just insulated ducting is installed to every room. Which system are you thinking about and how large is your house?

Thanks
    Well the system I have so far looked at is AdvantageAir. I have only spoken to the sales consultants at the expo's to get some information.
    The House is a single storey approx. 400m2. 4 Bedrooms.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast