Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Greetings - Hi All - Central Airconditioning systems Available in SA - Your Opinions your Reviews

Thanks
    I think the inherrent problem with central packaged air con in a domestic house is that the central machine must be sized according to the maximun load that will be required on a hot day with multiple occupants. The problem is that you then have to run the same machine even if you just want to cool down a single room when only one person is in the house. There's several tricks they use to alleviate the inefficiency of doing this such as off-loading and using PWM supply for the compressor (invertor) but this only goes some of the way toward making it more efficient during low-load periods and the running cost can still be an eye-opener.

This is why this system works well in commercial buildings where everyone arrives and leaves within a small time window so the air-con needs to run flat out during the day then by switched off. There's very little middle ground where they just need to condition a few of the office spaces because of low occupancy.

Regardless of the advertising bumf on the website, for me the jury is still out on whether this system is the prudent option for a residential property especially at this time when energy efficiency is a big issue from all angles.

2. Thanks given for this post:

flaker (02-Jul-14)

Thanks
    I guess as you say the jury is still out on whether central airconditioning system do offer a more energy efficient system to the split units available. As well if it does live up to what they advertise as well.
    I will actually maybe try and ask them to provide some references so I can maybe ask some of their customers about their system. Only if that's possible. If they are true believers that the system works well I'm sure they would'nt mind me speaking to some customers that they have installed the systems for.

Thanks
    I think speaking to a few people with that equipment in a similar house would be a good start. Ideally you need to speak to an independent HVAC consultant or maybe a decent architect. I'd definately be prepared to spend a little to get good, tailored advice rather than risk making a poor choice that's going to haunt you for years to come.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12