Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: SABC, TV Licence and DSTV

Thanks

Angry SABC, TV Licence and DSTV

I once had a TV some years ago, On the introduction of LCD's I bought myself a 40'' monitor that I use to watch my DSTV. Suddenly I got a call from SABC's attorneys instructing me to pay my TV licence. I told him that I do not own any TV set but a monitor and I use DSTV. he told me that it doesn't matter what I am using, the fact is ''I must pay TV licence for as long I am receiving signal.

my question is '' why do I have to pay for a TV licence whilst using DSTV and a monitor?

The money that Multichoice paid to SABC isn't enough to cover for TV licence for DSTV clients? very sad

Thanks
    If you had no tv whatsoever, the SABC does provide you with a very specific affidavit to complete
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    The guy from the law firm told me to call the SABC to book a technician to come check if really it is a monitor or not. I did just, a lady took my details but still no technician has ever knocked on my door.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Probably worth remembering there are SABC channels as part of the DSTV bouquet. And the combination of your equipment is displaying a broadcast TV RF signal.

A couple of years ago I had a TV licence inspector wandering through our offices looking for equipment that could receive a TV signal, even if it actually wasn't receiving a signal because of a lack of antenna or satellite dish. It's all that's needed apparently, and the licence inspector said he had surprised many places of work who had such stuff on the premises - normally in the board room, training room or some sort of requirement for an AV setup.

To my mind, where the future of TV licences is going to get interesting is the increasing take-up of "TV" via fixed line internet to a monitor and sound system setup - no RF at all there.

Thanks
    I'm amazed this sort of malarkey still exists.

All in the name of 'Freedom' I expect.
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Yes but I do suspect that Sadness is right in the sense that if you have a PVR and send that signal thro to a monitor (not a tv) - you don't need a TV licence. In the old days it was called a SABC licence - now they call it a TV licence.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    From what I remember with my brush with an inspector some 30 years ago, any item that can receive a TV signal, whether it is SABC or not, requires a TV license.
    I suspect with all the corruption and misappropriation of funds, the SABC now needs more money, and they are desperately trying anything they can to get this income.So be weary, they have all the time and resources to wear you down. I think for R280 a year, it is just not worth the effort of getting out of payment, the aggravation will be far more expensive.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Suspended
    Thanks
    Any computer screen can receive a tv signal thro a source. When buying a pvr you do not need a tv licence. You only need a tv licence when you buy a TV.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    Any computer screen can receive a tv signal thro a source. When buying a pvr you do not need a tv licence. You only need a tv licence when you buy a TV.
    The assumption here is that if you can afford a PVR, in most likelihood you have a TV, and would have a TV license. The fact that you are not asked for your TV license when purchasing a PVR, does not mean that you do not need a TV license to view, after all the PVR does have a wireless receiver which receives signals that are considered to be 'Television" signals.

Anyway what I was really driving at is the cost to defend the case, whether you are correct or not, far outweighs the cost of paying the TV license. Just to visit a lawyer to evaluate your case will set you back between R700 and a R1000.00, and this does not include your time, and the value of missed opportunities. However if you wish to fight because of principles, that is another matter.

Found this under SABC
    Q: What is a television set, as defined in the Broadcasting Act?

A: Any device designed or adapted to be capable of receiving a broadcast television signal. That includes a PC fitted with a TV tuner card, or a videocassette recorder (VCR) connected to a monitor or TV screen.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Some mobile phones can receive a TV signal. Oops!!!
    In search of South African Technology Nuggets(R), for sale & trading in South East Asia.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast