Thread: What does SA need import wise?

Email problem
    Thanks

What does SA need import wise?

I am curious what does anyone here imports from the U.S.
    I mean like electronics, auto, boat, parts, types of things.

My friend ships a lot of boats, auto, parts mostly to Russia, they make stuff there too but some of it is better quality/cheaper here even after paying excise/tariffs on entry. I remember searching and finding auto factories so auto wise SA probably imports a lot of stuff internally or from close neighbors. But what about boats and stuff? recreational I mean.

Generally he does one or two boats in a 40' foot container with other stuff mixed in from clients like tires/rims/ or shock absorbers and perhaps other stuff. Not packed just whatever fits well. From what I figure perhaps SA would be a good market for mobile/electric generators something like diesel generators, gov't liquidation site I think. He did send a couple of Harley Davidsons recently though by air which was insanely expensive but people paid for it, one was 3k the other 5k just for shipping (by plane).

Perhaps a reverse osmosis system for the coast or something but that is very expensive. For water and stuff.
    Not sure if I am advertising or something.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I understand we're a nett exporter of recreational boats and hulls.

And we do export cars too. Not sure if we're a nett exporter when it comes to vehicles anymore, though - particularly when you factor in the semi-fabricated stuff that's just assembled locally as opposed to manufactured from scratch.

In terms of things I'm involved with that require importing, it tends to come in via Europe for the most part. And Korea and China.
    The USA is actually quite a long way away from these parts. When it comes to shipping costs, it tends to be murder.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I think the reverse makes more sense. Given our exchange rate it would be far better all round for you to import from South Africa to sell in the US

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    I think the reverse makes more sense. Given our exchange rate it would be far better all round for you to import from South Africa to sell in the US
    Something perhaps but not cars or boats. If you go to Auction sites like (these are the 3 major ones more or less dmged/undamaged
    https://www.iaai.com/
    http://www.manheim.com/
    http://www.copart.com/c2/copart_home_page.html

Its' just from the info on dept of trade it seems there is flow to SA in the machinery category. Perhaps caterpillars and mining equipment or something but doubtful lately.

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by cyppokagain View Post
    Its' just from the info on dept of trade it seems there is flow to SA in the machinery category. Perhaps caterpillars and mining equipment or something ...
    Yes, that was my impression too. It would seem local manufacturing isn't doing enough in the way of heavy plant.

Quote Originally Posted by cyppokagain View Post
    Something perhaps but not cars or boats.
    When it comes to cars, the fact that we manufacture right hand drives pretty much rules out the Americas as a market anyway

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    South Africa is importing a lot from the East due to opportunism. I do not believe that we should be importing half the stuff that we do. A gullible public that is price sensitive due to high unemployment and low education allows substandard items to be imported just because it is cheap. This applies mostly to textiles and footwear as well as some furniture and housewares.

On the machinery side we are importing stuff that is not readily available in South Africa or is of a better quality than we can produce. Unfortunately we are not backing our own industries and it is too easy to just source a product via the internet without really looking around for an equal or better local product.

South Africans are (were?) very innovative as evidences by the first coal to fuel plants (SASOL), first heart transplant, invented the CAT scan, Kreepy Krauley, Pratley Putty, The speed gun (cricket), APS therapy, uranium enrichment, dolosse (for harbour walls) etc etc. We can do anything. We just need to support our local industry to make it viable to invest and to make these things.
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Another rather serious problem is that South Africa is metric. The implications are much greater than one generally thinks. Not only are guages, onboard computers problematic but so are threads and nuts & bolts.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    and when motor vehicles are concerned, only right hand drive vehicles may be registered to drive on our roads.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Email problem
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    Yes, that was my impression too. It would seem local manufacturing isn't doing enough in the way of heavy plant.

When it comes to cars, the fact that we manufacture right hand drives pretty much rules out the Americas as a market anyway
    Ah left/right hand side and miles/gallons km/kg problems. Well I all one more consideration for you.
    I have relatives in Crimea (yep there they come here periodically and go back) there is a company there called Phiolent (it makes drills and stuff) thought about if they could be competitive here and then instantly remembered the electricity difference 120/220 although a lot of things have a switch not sure they had it. Also price wise they aren't competitive here, although I never inquired about wholesale prices.

What about kitchen-goods? knives/fork sets and plates and stuff? do you have anything interesting there? give me a few links? (stuff like this only better and cheaper http://www.lifetimebrands.com/Produc...efault,pg.html)