Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: COC filled in example

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Its the old problem that most people don't know (and generally don't care) if its done properly. I recently quoted on a job which had 50 plus DB boards over 400 circuit breakers and I would estimate 2500 points. Now even if you allow conservative 30 minutes a circuit, to find it test all the points on it (30 x 400), to write down the results and fill in the alllll that paper work your looking at about 4 weeks (5 days a week, 9 hours a day), and that is even a conservative estimate because its not a standard install, its really complex with UPS boards, generator boards, normal supplies and even a solar array to deal with, in a working building. A licensed electrician an assistant for a month is expensive. Or they could get some dude who will walk through the building counting the points and maybe doing a earth fault loop test here and there and they can crash it out in a 3 days (takes a long time even to bulls^%$ that many test results and fill in COC's).

I don't think there is enough space on COC's for all the things you should be testing. Yes you can add extra sheets but on the yellow form itself there is only one little box for 'resistance of earth continuity conductor' One little box for operation earth leakage (there could be quite a few, especially in a 3 phase board with socket circuit spread over 3 phases).

I think you should be made to put your test results down then that would cover everyone. I can say "The day I tested it it was this value", and using some basic maths you should be able to calculate if its right if ever a problem arose. You would be signing for all the test results not just the few that get squeezed into the boxes on the COC. If a COC was ever contested you could do the test again and compare the results to what are on the test results issued with the COC. Yes voltages fluctuate a little but earth continuity won't change to much.

Just an idea....

2. Thank given for this post:

ELECT 1 (03-Apr-14), ians (10-Apr-14)

Thanks
    VIVA new SA, no more onbudsman, just DIY and some sod will pay you to do his house because you cheaper than the rest, VIVA new SA

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    If only someone who knew what they where doing could design a COC for the industry and have a document for each industry, domestic, commercial and another for industrial. A basic computerised document which has add ons for industry specific and additional equipment DBs etc.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Dave they do check the COCs, well enough said. I witnessed a contractor who forgot to fill in the test results, while waiting for something to get sorted out. The fella went to the counter filled it in and handed in again. Lekker when you know what the results "should" be

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Just write down ALL test results. Yes people will say "that will take ages" but if your testing like you are supposed to be then yes it takes ages. That's why it costs, you pay for someone time to do it properly and with a full set of test results signed off, you are accountable and the electrician is covered, assuming he hasn't made them up. If he made them up and there is problem he has those signed off/made up (delete applicable) to come to back to which will either burying him(if he made them up) or cover him (if they were tested the right way).

Have folders full of scribbled down test results in my own test sheet which I have kept just in case. The info you put on the COC is not enough. You just put in the worst case scenario for earth continuity? What good is that. If there was ever any dispute I don't think you would remember at what point you tested for that single number. Also with Eskom messing around with things I have had an incoming earth vanish after they dug up the road to connect a new supply and didn't reconnect properly. Careful what you sign people.... It's like signing a document when all the terms and conditions are not checked.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by skatingsparks View Post
    Just write down ALL test results.

Have folders full of scribbled down test results in my own test sheet which I have kept just in case. The info you put on the COC is not enough. You just put in the worst case scenario for earth continuity? What good is that. If there was ever any dispute I don't think you would remember at what point you tested for that single number. Also with Eskom messing around with things I have had an incoming earth vanish after they dug up the road to connect a new supply and didn't reconnect properly. Careful what you sign people.... It's like signing a document when all the terms and conditions are not checked.
    That's the way to go skatingsparks. My COC does not get to site. I have my own spreadsheet which I fill in and then when at my desk I complete the COC which then stays clean and presentable. I keep my spreadsheets with all my readings on an external drive. A COC takes long to complete and the smell and filth in some places are such that I don"t want to waste time there completing the COC. Earth continuity readings at all points of consumption are recorded not only because they should be but also to cover myself as you said. I also make notes of any recommendations I have made based on what I find on the site. Besides the photographic records I keep
    Last edited by Sparks; 16-Apr-14 at 09:41 AM. Reason: addition

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Sparks, How long do you keep the records?
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    Sparks, How long do you keep the records?
    We had one late last year where it was as well we'd kept our records of the previous test... done in 2005.

I'm not convinced it made any difference to issues of liability, but it certainly settled the argument in short order.

Thanks
    Because I store them on an external drive I will have them pretty much indefinitely. I keep my spreadsheet, photos and a scanned copy of the actual COC. I don"t have those from when I started out any more due to PC crashing but I learnt from it and now keep it on external drives

Thanks
    Sparks,

You should also maybe look into storing your COC data online, for example with IDrive where you get a free 5G account into which you can store all these. An external drive doesn't ensure your data is safe for ever. Cloud storage is the new way of storing your important data. Even if you are using a 3G modem to connect to the internet, documents are quite small in relation to movies or music and so it wont deplete your data bundle. Just a thought...

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.