Thread: Question - Medical Aids

Thanks

Question - Medical Aids

Hi to All

I am intending to go through a revision process of the medical aid cover that I currently have with Discovery.

I am wondering whether there are any folks on the forum who might have recently done a similar exercise and what their conclusions are and if they have any advice to offer or comparisons to make please?

Why am I doing this ...
    1. Gut feel tells me that I am paying too much for what I am getting and maybe I can save a few hard earned rands.
    2. I had a very arrogant "client services" consultant tell me today that the only way that I can pay my premiums is by debit order and this is "the law" ... I am amazed if this is true! This conversation started as a simple request that I set up and pay my premiums by EFT, but ended up with me being spoken to in a very patronising manner which has prompted me to investigate this properly. So much for "client service"

I am currently on the Essential Saver Plan which covers me and two adult dependents.

Any advice and guidance will be much appreciated.

Cheers
    Lindsay

Thanks
    Hello Lindsay,

First off, the consultant might get paid probably a commission rate based on client satisfaction.
    So her intentions are self-centred, and doesnt care about capabilities of customers.

I would suggest you get hold of the medical aid company's head office and send 1 single line e-mail to the customer care manager explaining that your consumer act rights has been compromised, and what fruitful actions might be gained from communicating with them further.
    This usually gets send to snr. Management on a weekly status report. so, expect about a week before receiving a love mail.
    This would usually have consequences for the consultant - but you'll never hear about that end of the pipeline.

It happend to me as well a few years ago.
    I then decided to show them the middle finger, and went pay as you go on cold hard cash.

My medication today cost anything from R 800 in cash.
    If i had medical aid, they would super charge the costs to about R 1500 +/-
    Excluding doctor visits and other expenses.
    If i go to my gp now, i pay about 150 per visit in branston ...

Bottom line is, government decided to penalise everyone over by not allowing a 12 month prescription, and decreased to 6 months.
    Just so that most people in the medical field can get better mansions to live in.
    I asked my GP yesterday , when are they going to decrease to 3 months. He said "There is not enough doctors" .. for now anyways.
    So, there are always plans the government would think up to nail consumers in any possible way as they can.

The fact is, this is a fight against a star on the horizon that's millions of light years away. so nobody can reach it; to hit it's nose ...

Go Cash, if your employer tells you; they demand a medical scheme. take the least costing option to none.
    Dont bother with 'benefits' or 'discounts' or any of the favourable words medical aid consultants uses that comes out to suffocate your finances eventually.

Thanks
    Hi

Thanks for your input and advice, I appreciate it.

Thanks
    This is tricky. It depends on the health status of yourself and your dependents. Having recently suffered a heart attack I am very aware of the benefits of decent emergency care being instantly available. I have also seen the disastrous effects of family members neglecting their health in order save money on medical expenses.

Speak to other consultants, you can easily change your Discovery consultant as well, perhaps also chat to your GP, but think long and hard before cancelling any cover you already have.