Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Clients calling 7 days a week

Thanks

Clients calling 7 days a week

My clients are so used to me working on weekends that I am stuck all the time with work. One urgent machine can through a spanner in the works and I may not be able to have a jol at the dam or go away for the weekend, happened this weekend. It’s not like the clients are really pushy, they just think of it as normal service over time. So I want the business, but its killing my family life, social life and fishing and camping life. I won’t even go into the DM hassles for now.

I am thinking of politely approaching my clients and say that I am unfortunately not available on weekends anymore, but if somebody is there they are welcome to drop machines of etc. But I just know I won’t do it because I want the clients happy (want their business).

One day I will have a technician on weekend call, then somebody else can work on the weekend a bit while I probably get even more stuck in. I will end up like those old Greek ballies that work every day until they die at the shop.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I just received a SMS a few hours ago from a GUY I GOT out on BAIL...

at least I THINK that is the guy,

HE SENT me a please call me,

what the hell AM i supposed to do if he BROKE his bail conditions?

THEN THE POLICE ARE in their very right to ARREST HIM AGAIN.

furthermore I AM just the candidate attorney,

they should take it UP WITH MY principal,

not with me......

but I GET bugged on SUNDAY.

i refuse to call him back on a please call me...

will take it up with the principal on MONDAY
    “Curiousity is the discovery of satan, the devil was hidden and far, now he stares everyone in the face.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson There is evil! It's actual, like cement... I can't believe it. I can't stand it. Evil is not a view... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.

3. Thanks given for this post:

xcorporation (11-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    My clients are so used to me working on weekends that I am stuck all the time with work. One urgent machine can through a spanner in the works and I may not be able to have a jol at the dam or go away for the weekend, happened this weekend.
    That's how you build a good business and a good reputation, Buddy.
    You will one day reap the rewards.

(Ask the customer if is really that urgent and don't forget to charge for overtime. )
    Excellence is not a skill; its an attitude...

5. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (11-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Blurock View Post
    That's how you build a good business and a good reputation, Buddy.
    You will one day reap the rewards.

(Ask the customer if is really that urgent and don't forget to charge for overtime. )
    lmao

i am concerned then,

is it the attorneys fault that the client keeps getting into trouble,

so because the client messes up it is bad juju/reputation marks for the attorney who tried to get him out of it?
    “Curiousity is the discovery of satan, the devil was hidden and far, now he stares everyone in the face.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson There is evil! It's actual, like cement... I can't believe it. I can't stand it. Evil is not a view... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post
    My clients are so used to me working on weekends that I am stuck all the time with work. One urgent machine can through a spanner in the works and I may not be able to have a jol at the dam or go away for the weekend, happened this weekend. It’s not like the clients are really pushy, they just think of it as normal service over time. So I want the business, but its killing my family life, social life and fishing and camping life. I won’t even go into the DM hassles for now.

I am thinking of politely approaching my clients and say that I am unfortunately not available on weekends anymore, but if somebody is there they are welcome to drop machines of etc. But I just know I won’t do it because I want the clients happy (want their business).

One day I will have a technician on weekend call, then somebody else can work on the weekend a bit while I probably get even more stuck in. I will end up like those old Greek ballies that work every day until they die at the shop.

In a home based business trying to separate home life from the business can be challenging at the best of times. When we first start our business we will take on anything and everything whenever the opportunity presents itself. We are building a business after all. Invariably the times rolls around when our business is running smoothly and we can afford to be a bit more choosy about the work we take on and when we take it on - the problem now of course is that we have created an expectation whereby the client expects us to be available to them all the time.

I found myself in this position last year and after driving myself mad trying to keep clients AND family happy - I found a compromise.
    Not sure what medium you use to keep your clients abreast of news/specials or prices in your business, I do send out a monthly newsletter and used this medium to convey my business hours to clients. What I also included was that if they needed to deliver files after hours or weekends, this could be arranged in advance but that they would have to let me know at least a day or two in advance so that I could make arrangements to be home. On the odd occasion where work needs to be done after hours or weekends, clients are billed extra (well in some cases ) If it really is not possible to have them deliver over a weekend, then I will either arrange to collect the files myself on Friday or first thing on Monday.

To date it has been my experience that when you lay out the ground rules clearly, clients are by no means offended - if anything they seem to gain a new respect for your time.

Best of luck, you can do it
    "If at first you don't succeed, do it like your mother told you."

8. Thanks given for this post:

pmbguy (10-Mar-14)

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I found charging double time on weekends helped sort out this problem, it makes it worth while and it slows the not so urgent jobs. Like the 9.30 pm calls, the customer just wants to chat about a job they want you to do in about 3 months time, if you allow it will become habit.

Thanks
    How would you handle this if you had an office in town?
    I stay 25km from my shop so if customers want to see me on the weekend I make sure that R4 per KM is built into the price.
    Only had 1 call last year and it paid very well.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

Thanks
    You need to lay down some rules, both in business and in your personal life. People respect boundaries and feel "safe" within boundaries. You will soon understand the benefit of this, both in your business and your personal life.
    Tell them, politely, that normal service isn't available over weekends. Emergency service is available at double the price. Get a 2nd phone and switch off your main phone over weekends. They can use the 2nd phone as an emergency phone number if they need it.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

12. Thank given for this post:

Blurock (12-Mar-14), Dave A (10-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KimH View Post
    In a home based business trying to separate home life from the business can be challenging at the best of times. When we first start our business we will take on anything and everything whenever the opportunity presents itself. We are building a business after all. Invariably the times rolls around when our business is running smoothly and we can afford to be a bit more choosy about the work we take on and when we take it on - the problem now of course is that we have created an expectation whereby the client expects us to be available to them all the time.

I found myself in this position last year and after driving myself mad trying to keep clients AND family happy - I found a compromise.
    Not sure what medium you use to keep your clients abreast of news/specials or prices in your business, I do send out a monthly newsletter and used this medium to convey my business hours to clients. What I also included was that if they needed to deliver files after hours or weekends, this could be arranged in advance but that they would have to let me know at least a day or two in advance so that I could make arrangements to be home. On the odd occasion where work needs to be done after hours or weekends, clients are billed extra (well in some cases ) If it really is not possible to have them deliver over a weekend, then I will either arrange to collect the files myself on Friday or first thing on Monday.

To date it has been my experience that when you lay out the ground rules clearly, clients are by no means offended - if anything they seem to gain a new respect for your time.

Best of luck, you can do it
    Hi Kim

You seem to have done rather well in balancing everything. You know there is nothing worse than arguing at home because of work. It’s not all helter skelter though and I even have the odd putting around the yard. Being open for business on weekends and not usually charging an afterhour’s rate was a deliberate strategy from the get go to get my foot in the door and push it open, one that I begrudgingly stand by. I like the idea that a client knows that no matter when their machine breaks down it can be repaired and usually without extra charge. I just don’t want to be the only one doing the weekend work all the time. 2 weekends off a month will make me exceedingly happy.

All and all - I surmise it’s a good problem to have, rather busy complaints than quite complaints.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    You need to lay down some rules, both in business and in your personal life. People respect boundaries and feel "safe" within boundaries. You will soon understand the benefit of this, both in your business and your personal life.
    Tell them, politely, that normal service isn't available over weekends. Emergency service is available at double the price. Get a 2nd phone and switch off your main phone over weekends. They can use the 2nd phone as an emergency phone number if they need it.
    You are right and this will solve my current weekend issue. You see I really don’t mind working on weekends, but not every weekend. It’s a long term service standard I wish to uphold. Eventually I will have weekends off by having another guy on call out. My industry does not usually cater for afterhours work, and those who do charge exorbitantly. My ambition is to make my business different to others in my industry. Where I have a system to support and manage “weekend work” This is all in an effort to gain as many clients as possible.

I understand that there are many ways to skin a cat depending on your exact business, industry and plan. I learned allot from my old boss and I follow his basic plan which is to make the client happy no matter what. You do a bit more work sometimes, you may sometimes lose a little bit of money on client happiness here and there, but you working the numbers game.

It does cause some chafing

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast