Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Purchasing 2nd Hand Car

Platinum Member
    Thanks
    @KristiKat, from what I read on the website link you posted last, a police clearance certificate can only be obtained for cars with DataDot. If you dont have DataDot they will not clear the car!

Thanks
    The seller should have the original car's papers "in-hand" if it's paid off.
    And you should insist on a road worthy certificate, not more than a few weeks old. They expire every 6 weeks, I think. Make sure it was done at the AA of SA, or Dekra. You can request a recent NATIS document from the department of transport to see what's going on.
    Police NATIS docs are quite often upto 6 months old, don't trust it. Rather get it from your local licensing department, or Dekra.
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Singhms View Post
    @KristiKat, from what I read on the website link you posted last, a police clearance certificate can only be obtained for cars with DataDot. If you dont have DataDot they will not clear the car!
    oh really,

sjoe,

that's insane,

this "governmental" rabbit hole is going too far...............
    “Curiousity is the discovery of satan, the devil was hidden and far, now he stares everyone in the face.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson There is evil! It's actual, like cement... I can't believe it. I can't stand it. Evil is not a view... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    read post

Data Dot is only necessary on new cars at the moment - all new cars have had them for the last 18 months or so.

You DO NOT need it for Police Clearance unless it's a car that had it in the first place.
    “Curiousity is the discovery of satan, the devil was hidden and far, now he stares everyone in the face.” ― Michael Bassey Johnson There is evil! It's actual, like cement... I can't believe it. I can't stand it. Evil is not a view... it's an ingredient in us. In the world. Poured over us, filtering into our bodies, minds, hearts, into the pavement itself.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    further reading it pretty amazing...data dots....

it is practically impossible to BUY A STOLEN car or to get conned when "data dots" are in play...it sounds pretty sci fi.....

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by KristiKat View Post
    read post

Data Dot is only necessary on new cars at the moment - all new cars have had them for the last 18 months or so.

You DO NOT need it for Police Clearance unless it's a car that had it in the first place.
    You do need it for police clearance as well as if you want to take a car across the border.
    Last year April I ended up wasting a full day at Langlaagte just because I didn't have a data dot certificate.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    O ME GAWD...''

I AM beginning to think that maybe if your dots get into the wrong hands that it may be used against you....

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,257 Posts
    Blog Entries
    I'm afraid it's "no Data Dot, no police clearance" nowadays regardless of whether it was Data Dot-ted in the first place.

I should know - I had two vehicles "borrowed" (read "stolen and recovered") last year, one for less than 3 hours.
    Once you've reported a vehicle as stolen, you can't renew the licence without a police clearance.
    And you can't get a police clearance on the vehicle unless it is Data Dot-ted.
    (And if the vehicle is in a company's name, you're going to need certified copies of your CK1 or CM1, and COR39.1 or equivalent etc. to do it).

sjoe,

that's insane,

this "governmental" rabbit hole is going too far...............
    Yep - it certainly is. But they've got to boost the economy somehow.
    (And introducing more and more red tape seems to be their strategy).

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Dave A View Post
    I'm afraid it's "no Data Dot, no police clearance" nowadays regardless of whether it was Data Dot-ted in the first place.

I should know - I had two vehicles "borrowed" (read "stolen and recovered") last year, one for less than 3 hours.
    Once you've reported a vehicle as stolen, you can't renew the licence without a police clearance.
    And you can't get a police clearance on the vehicle unless it is Data Dot-ted.
    (And if the vehicle is in a company's name, you're going to need certified copies of your CK1 or CM1, and COR39.1 or equivalent etc. to do it).

Yep - it certainly is. But they've got to boost the economy somehow.
    (And introducing more and more red tape seems to be their strategy).
    What do they do with older cars which were never data dotted? AFAIK, data dots isn't compulsory on ^all^ cars, yet. New cars, yes, but not older cars. There's simply no way to enforce it. Sound like the coppers just played their usual, "we're not in the mood for work today, 'let's pass the buck'" routine
    Get superfast South African Hosting at WebHostingZone

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by SoftDux-Rudi View Post
    What do they do with older cars which were never data dotted? AFAIK, data dots isn't compulsory on ^all^ cars, yet. New cars, yes, but not older cars. There's simply no way to enforce it. Sound like the coppers just played their usual, "we're not in the mood for work today, 'let's pass the buck'" routine
    If you buy a used car that is licenced you don’t need a police clearance certificate.
    It is only when a vehicle has been deregistered & you need to reregister it do you need a police clearance certificate.
    The installer has to be accredited & iisue you with certificate.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast