Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Scrap DSTV Anyone?

Thanks
    And another gripe I have with DSTV's comeback:
    “Piracy promotes a culture of fraud and corruption and one should always look at the bigger picture, rather than focusing purely on our individual needs, as your article seems to do,”
    Nope, your crappy exorbitant "service" promotes this culture. Piracy is the symptom, NOT the cause you dimwits!
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

2. Thanks given for this post:

newBix (07-Mar-14)

Thanks
    I am a collector, I like shiny limited addition DVDs. I love the idea of owning something nice and my growing DVD collection is doing just that. I like to watch all the extra bits that is only found on the DVDs.

I also don’t need that bluray stuff. The players are more expensive and really no player last longer then a year.
    love Life + take care of your body

Thanks
    I can get uncapped internet for less than R700 a month, my Andriod/Zaap box will do better than what they offer. I dont worry about local sport as I'm not a sport fan. on these boxes I can watch series through XBMC.

I think DSTV is a waste of money too. I just hope the new kid on the block OVHD can acquire a lot more channels/licences to compete with them. Maybe they can catch a wake up.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    What even annoys me more is the amount of adverts inserted during prime time viewing. If I was not a subscriber, and getting free viewing, I would accept the adverts bring in income, but paying for the service and still having to go through the adverts is extremely annoying. They are making double money, 1 from the subscription, and secondly from the TV advert. I have never managed to get an answer out of them about this, but there was some comment about the fact that all the shows re only 40 minutes long, and there for the adverts are fillers to make it 1 hour. I have on a few occasions timed it, and 7 minutes of show and about 5 minutes of adverts, so go figure - BS.
    Fortunately with PVR, I usually place it on pause at the beginning of the show, go and do something for 20 minutes, then come back and view and fast forward past the adverts.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Thanks
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The main problem is that our ADSL lines into homes can not carry the speed to watch streaming video. Whilst Vodacom may use HSPDA to connect o your point, they may have a problem handling the volume of data through their network. Take the experiment Vodacom did on mothers day where they gave each subscriber 1G free, heck you could not get any useful download speeds because the network was overloaded with everyone trying to download.
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

8. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (22-May-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    So what of DSTV? They are basically an entertainment base system but that’s not all. So let’s be clear they own particular broadcasting rights, they have an advertisement income AND they have a Investment structure.

But there main income is sport. Is it not true that the sport channels are only available on there “premium subscription”? As far as I know it is true. Unfortunately sport is now the subject of controversy and this can only escalate. Will this be negative? Will this be positive? Only time can tell.

As mentioned here you can buy DVD’s cheaply and really the 3D experience at your local 3D Cinema is worth the money. If you haven’t done it please do it is a experience. Especially if the creators of the movies took the time to do it right.

I loved the movie need for speed, I enjoyed the new Spiderman release it was a spectacle! And I am looking forward to the new Godzilla that I will go watch next week. So why on earth do I want to spend almost a thousand rand EVERY MONTH on entertainment and I don’t get to keep the DVD OR get something as nice as the 3D experience?

With that type of money one can buy a nice entertainment system with online gaming capability a host of games and interactive technology. Active on the minute news and so on.

Consider how much you have paid already for your DSTV over the years. I never won anything from them I get a little decoder with no HD capability just a few normal inputs and you have constantly correct the widescreen... for your money that is just pathetic.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Suspended
    Thanks
    Is it not true that the sport channels are only available on there “premium subscription
    No this is not the case. Mnet is the only channel that is only available on the highest one (Premium) You can get sport on the lower packages. In fact I can get sport on my drifta when I am in CT, which is free for me because I have a dstv package back home, but would cost R29 if I just wanted to use the 16 channels including sport on the drifta.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    The situation here is that with all this income they are able to block any new player coming into the market. Simply because they have lots of money they simply buy their programs at a higher cost, and demand exclusivity barring the competition. No new station can even attempt to compete, look at Pay TV, they can not grow because they can not afford to break the monopoly.

12. Thanks given for this post:

tec0 (23-May-14)

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by HR Solutions View Post
    No this is not the case. Mnet is the only channel that is only available on the highest one (Premium) You can get sport on the lower packages. In fact I can get sport on my drifta when I am in CT, which is free for me because I have a dstv package back home, but would cost R29 if I just wanted to use the 16 channels including sport on the drifta.
    The so called drivter doesn’t work in our area.

Ok as for sport, Go to compare-packages Have a look. Supper Sport 1 and Supper Sport 2 is not available on any of the options accept for the Premium for R665 Per month.

Those are the two channels you want. Actually have a look for yourself what is available where. If you look at the "Coverage" map you will be shocked to see it hasn't changed much over the years a few new arias...
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast