I have a client whose VAT201 Return was rejected by SARS. They are newly registered for VAT and had bought a vehicle in the first period which resulted in a refund being due from SARS. Subsequently, and without advising me, they have gone ahead and paid SARS the amount that SARS insists they owe. The VAT period has already been closed on Pastel (it was 2013/08) and now I'm not sure what I should do - with SARS or Pastel!

My client does their own e-filing and they have not submitted a corrected return because they don't think it is necessary - I disagree, who is right?!!

How am I going to make sure my VAT Control Account in Pastel balances? The tax period has already been closed. The VAT was introduced via a supplier invoice for the full amount of the vehicle cost.

My client has just called and told me that SARS have instructed them to submit the 2014/03 VAT Return and include the vehicle invoice from August 2013. Does this mean I should pass a credit note for the August invoice and re-enter the invoice in the current period?

I'd really appreciate any insight here!

Thanks.