Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: LCD, LED, Plasma and then 3D what affects what?

Thanks
    Be careful of the sony the playback from USB is very limited, take your own stick and test it in store.
    Only stress when you can change the outcome!

2. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (06-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by IanF View Post
    Be careful of the sony the playback from USB is very limited, take your own stick and test it in store.
    +1 ... best to go test in the store. If you don't have a USB, and not going to use such things, then it probably doesn't matter.

Also check what the screen actually is. I'd go so far as to rent a BlueRay movie for the day when I go to these shops and have them play it for me there - stops them from choosing some special purpose video they coded to look best on a crappy screen. Choose something with lots of action and preferably a lot of fine detail, e.g. something like Hugo might be a perfect test. And then also a standard SABC channel to see how it handles poor video sources.

E.g. higher price doesn't necessarily mean it's a better screen. E.g. compare these 2:

So for an extra R400 you get 11" extra inches but only half the resolution. To me the cheaper of those 2 is actually the better one, not because of the price - I'd still go with the full HD if they were at the same price. And not because of Plasma/LED, to me that's less of a consideration than the resolution.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

4. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (06-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Thanked 2,676 Times in 2,258 Posts
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    I'd go so far as to rent a BlueRay movie for the day when I go to these shops and have them play it for me there - stops them from choosing some special purpose video they coded to look best on a crappy screen.
    My tip is make sure there's a low light scene (The Dark Knight, for example). My experience is this is one area where the difference in quality between screen displays becomes really obvious.

6. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (06-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by bjsteyn View Post
    I baught a Samsung 46" LED Smart 3D TV. And i am impressed with the quality of picture and features that it pack.

There are one or two things that arn't perfect. The motion sensing for controlling the TV doesn't work that great, although the voice recognition works almost perfect. Also things like when having to turn up the volume via voice it only increases/descrease by one at a time.
    If my volume is 20 and i want to get it to 50 i have to say "Hi TV, Volume Up, Volumen Up, Volume Up, Volume Up, Volume up, Volume up x 25 more times" I woul like to say "Volume up by 5" or something. Don't know if there is a way mabe to this. But dont see anything in the guide.

Secondly when trying to connect to media on my server using either Plex or Samsung Link the network connection just breaks at times and every time i add new media to my server is such a mission for the TV to pick up the new media. Also if there is media in folder that the TV doesn't recognize it doesn't want to read the folder. The samsung link web interface for configuring shared folders doesn't work so i had to edit the SQLLite database manually and tried to use Plex as-well, but it also have problems also with the interface and media being read.

Thirdly, when watching movies form my server directly threw the media player on the TV it has an soap opera effect, and doesn't look like a movie. I am linking my TV to my pc via HDMI, and movies has much more of a movie feel playing it with nero showtime or vlc media player.

I haven't played a movie threw a DVD player yet. But baught a 3D blue ray external dvd drive to hook up with my pc. Am still to get a movie and test it out.

Overall i am very impressed, there are just a few things that bug me , that i wish samsung would have sorted out. Hopefully i can update the firmware/software on the TV when samsung release updates and that they will fix the issues.
    Since i moved my TV to a different room where the lighting is much better, the motion control is working perfect. I also got Plex Media Server to work correctly since i am running it from my desktop pc and not from my laptop anymore.

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.