Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: LCD, LED, Plasma and then 3D what affects what?

Thanks
    Yep, for me as well ... connections are probably the most troublesome aspect. HD/LED/LCD/Plasma/3d/Hz ... those you can generally see the difference in the shop. But connectors you need to think about, since you're only going to notice the issues when you get it home and try to plug it in.

If all your equipment use HDMI cables (connectors are about the shape and size of USB) you should be fine with just about anything. Some have component input (like the 3 round plugs you used to get for video/dvd players/recorders). Some have VGA/DVI like computer screens. Just take note that for HD you require either HDMI/DVI/VGA - the others tend to not work so well at the higher resolution.

Usually (note some cheaper models skimp a bit on this) play low res video quite well. So viewing something like SABC (or DSTV's standard channels) should simply be scaled so it uses the full screen by using multiple pixels for each dot of the image. Sometimes this causes you to actually see the "dots" though (or worse it distorts by stretching/squashing the proportions) - I'd suggest you ask the shop to show a normal TV broadcast in addition to the BD movie they usually use so you can see if it works decently with current TV channels.

If you want to get something which will last for at least the next 10 years, then it might be a good idea to have something with a network / wifi connection too. Overseas most TV channels have either gone out of business or moved to on-line. In the US stuff like NetFlix have become ubiquitous as has similar stuff in Europe (even BBC now "broadcasts across the internet). There's been stuff in the news about SA's broadcasts becoming digital (not satellite but digital radio), this will require a set-top box, but I fear they're doing too little too late - on-line (through the internet) seems to be the future (at least if you look at the rest of the world). So to be ready when (and if) SA's internet becomes fast and cheap enough to watch live video, you should get something which will work easily with a set-top-box. For me, I already watch local TV shows only once in a blue moon (usually only sport), since I can usually view shows which are a year ahead of anything on MNet/DSTV while their quality is also full HD (nothing on DSTV is that).

Edit: Overseas the trend is to get TV's with built-in media centres (i.e. set-top-box built in). These are usually something like an Android operating system (like on smart-phones / tablets) with a program specifically designed for use on TV with a remote. Alternatively they go for HTPC (Home Theatre Personal Computer) - see my thread here about me trying to find something decent: http://www.theforumsa.co.za/forums/s...your-old-phone
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

2. Thanks given for this post:

wynn (26-Feb-14)

Thanks
    I baught a Samsung 46" LED Smart 3D TV. And i am impressed with the quality of picture and features that it pack.

There are one or two things that arn't perfect. The motion sensing for controlling the TV doesn't work that great, although the voice recognition works almost perfect. Also things like when having to turn up the volume via voice it only increases/descrease by one at a time.
    If my volume is 20 and i want to get it to 50 i have to say "Hi TV, Volume Up, Volumen Up, Volume Up, Volume Up, Volume up, Volume up x 25 more times" I woul like to say "Volume up by 5" or something. Don't know if there is a way mabe to this. But dont see anything in the guide.

Secondly when trying to connect to media on my server using either Plex or Samsung Link the network connection just breaks at times and every time i add new media to my server is such a mission for the TV to pick up the new media. Also if there is media in folder that the TV doesn't recognize it doesn't want to read the folder. The samsung link web interface for configuring shared folders doesn't work so i had to edit the SQLLite database manually and tried to use Plex as-well, but it also have problems also with the interface and media being read.

Thirdly, when watching movies form my server directly threw the media player on the TV it has an soap opera effect, and doesn't look like a movie. I am linking my TV to my pc via HDMI, and movies has much more of a movie feel playing it with nero showtime or vlc media player.

I haven't played a movie threw a DVD player yet. But baught a 3D blue ray external dvd drive to hook up with my pc. Am still to get a movie and test it out.

Overall i am very impressed, there are just a few things that bug me , that i wish samsung would have sorted out. Hopefully i can update the firmware/software on the TV when samsung release updates and that they will fix the issues.

Thanks
    AFAIK the menu stuff only Samsung themselves will be able to fix through a firmware update. BTW, that TV is basically something like an ARM processor with a Linux-like OS. There are some custom stuff you could install (but similar to custom ROM's for Android it would probably void the waranty): http://smart-home-blog.com/2010/05/2...nd-lg-lcd-tvs/

As for movies looking poorer when viewing through the TV's network interface, that's probably because you're limited to DLNA (one of the reasons that custom OS was started, so it could link directly to any file share Linux's built-in NFS / the linux-to-windows link CIFS/Samba, or UPnP which means it can even then directly view from your Media Player's own library. If it would make the movie look better is a matter of some other factors:
    • The network speed (usually if on WiFi it tends to drop connection from my experience - and this happens on all WiFi connected stuff, not just TV's), if you can't get throughput of at least 30MBytes/sec with constant connection you'd have a difficult time playing a full HD video across the network. This is why I always try to get a wired LAN cable for especially video, and a 100MBit/sec is not enough for HD, it's just about good enough for SD (DVD) - so 1GB/s is what I tend to aim for. Some WiFi advertise 150MB/s or 300, or 450, and the newest AC standard "advertises" around 800MB/s, though from what I've seen that's only theory on NO practise.
    • Internal drivers / codecs may not be able to play that format, or possibly not at its full resolutions. You might be able to obtain better drivers / codecs through a firmware update and/or custom OS.
    • Hardware might be insufficient to transcode the compressed video at its highest resolutions, sometimes the drivers/codecs could help with this if they're more efficient - but chances are that if hardware is too slow, then you're stuck. You might need to transcode the AVI/MKV/etc. files to use a codec which works easier through the TV - do this on your PC through something like VirtualDub. Though easier usually then means the file is larger and thus means network traffic becomes more of an issue.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz

Thanks
    BTW, if you do plan to view movies / other which you've got stored on a local server/PC/phone/NAS/etc. It seems the best option is to connect using CIFS/Samba (sometimes referred to as SMB). UPnP seems to be a bit of a minimalist connection system - not too well suited for stuff like fast-forward / extra features like BD's comments and highlights / extra files like other sound tracks / subtitles. DLNA is simply a standard which works similar to UPnP. You might want to see these for reference:
    http://hdliving.com/learning-center/.../06/02/dlna-it
    http://www.mpcclub.com/forum/showthread.php?t=24893

Thanks
    I also prefer a LED TV, but not really a fan of the built in smart tv features. I prefer to connect a setup box (1st choice) or even a raspberry pi, as I usually find the built in software of the TV to slow for my liking. It also allows me to run XBMC which I really like

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by montronic View Post
    It also allows me to run XBMC which I really like
    +1 IMO it's the absolute best menu system for on-line/local fileserver based movies/tv series I've ever seen in any media device. It makes everything else look amateurish (at best).

Thanks
    The interface, speed and controls of my Samsung smart tv reminds me of windows 3 and dos scenarios.

This flashed to mind .
    Who remembers the ZX Spectrum?
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    The interface, speed and controls of my Samsung smart tv reminds me of windows 3 and dos scenarios.
    Ouch ... just OUCH!

Even something like OpenElec (Linux) installed on a Raspberry Pi (i.e. similar to the CPU/Motherboard of a smart phone of 5 years ago) and running XMBC as the media menu performs smoothly and without glitches. And it's not as if XBMC is a text-only menu system. Just take a look at some of its screenshots: https://www.google.co.za/search?q=xb...iw=948&bih=780

I generally prefer the Amber skin though. Love it's system of newest & recommended movies and TV shows: https://www.google.co.za/search?q=xb...icial&tbm=isch

Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    This flashed to mind .
    Who remembers the ZX Spectrum?
    You mean this:

Yeah, that looks as if it just might be in the same class as my remote ...

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    Raspberry Pi (i.e. similar to the CPU/Motherboard of a smart phone of 5 years ago)
    E.g. the R-Pi's specs: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Raspber...Specifications

My old Android's: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Droid_2
    the one prior to my phone the: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Motorola_Droid

So Pi= 400MHz ARM-CPU + 256MB Ram, MotoDroid2 = 1GHz ARM-CPU + 512MB RAM, "Droid 1" = 600MHz ARM & 256MB RAM.

I wonder what idiotic hardware Samsung deemed sufficient for your TV? They must've specially made such inferior stuff - you can't buy it if you tried (not even second-hand).

Thanks
    Is this not similar to your new smart tv screen?
    This is a Commodore64 geos screen from 1982.
    Attached Images Attached Images  
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.

Did you like this article? Share it with your favourite social network.