Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Formatting memory sticks...

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    @AndyD - I don't know what you mean, either you are or you're not. I don't think that there are different levels of "Administrator"

I'll do a bit of research and see what I find.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by AndyD View Post
    Are you set up as a true administrator on your Win7 PC? Not just administrator..there's a difference. Check out the security issues first though.
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    @AndyD - I don't know what you mean, either you are or you're not. I don't think that there are different levels of "Administrator"

I'll do a bit of research and see what I find.
    Quote Originally Posted by irneb View Post
    if you want access to them you'd need to be logged in as Administrator under Safe mode. Or better yet as a command-line only boot-up.
    If your username is set to the admin group, then W7 sees you more like a "super-user" who can do more than a normal user, but not everything a "true" Admin can. There are settings to turn this functionality off completely, but they're highly dangerous since any virus will then have full access without any restrictions to the entire PC. Therefore the default in W7 is to only allow the Admin account under Safe Mode. XP saw such users under the Admin group as the same type of user as if they were true Admins, it will even allow you to log in as Administrator in a normal mode - this is just as dangerous as removing W7's restrictions.

This was a way in which Microsoft tried to make their OS less prone to viruses - i.e. disallow some critical files from being accessed in any way during normal operation. It's also one of the main reasons some programs require a restart after an install / update - only way to access those files are through a boot script or such.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Thanks
    As Irneb says, Win7 doesn't by default give Administrators full rights for security reasons mainly because when you sell an OS that's full of security holes it's best to limit privileges as much as possible. Save this file to your desktop, change the file extension from .txt to .reg and run it. As I previously warned please be aware of the security issues involved, enabling these privileges gives malicious scripts a lot more scope to cause problems.

GrantFullAdminPrivileges.txt

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Damn guys, W7 is a scary OS if one isn't 100% up to date with all the "clever crap" embedded in it.

I am starting to get a headache thinking about all the issues, problems, changes and downright annoyances of W7. They've made to OS so clever that it serves to frustrate and not much else....Just like FNB ATMs and online banking services.

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by adrianh View Post
    W7 is a scary OS
    Yes ... and ... no. All OS's (at least all those from the last decade or two) have some shape of admin security. Microsoft went with a "simpler" method - that is simpler for them, not for the user. Instead of working like Linux (and most others) does [i.e. ask for admin password when such dangerous actions are performed] disallow any such action by default and add a hidden admin account where these things are allowed.

The trouble with MS's approach to this is that most users (at least those wanting/needing such access) tend to turn this off because it's too cumbersome to have to reboot into safe mode each time you have to modify something. There's even situations where some programs require such access to even run, e.g. some parts of registry is read-only by default, others are even invisible - necessitating the circumventing of such security measures simply to perform daily work (usually it means the program is designed badly).

If they went with the Linux method, it would simply pop-up with a dialog asking for the password to allow the action to complete. Though still intrusive, at least it's a lot less painful than cancelling everything, rebooting and holding down F8 to get the SafeMode menu option, logging in to Admin, performing the action(s) rebooting back to normal and restarting all the programs you had running before. It's even worse since Safe Mode has some restrictions which could mean you can't perform the action(s) - e.g. since most drivers aren't loaded during safe mode you might find stuff like 3G modems not working.
    Gold is the money of kings; silver is the money of gentlemen; barter is the money of peasants; but debt is the money of slaves. - Norm Franz
    And central banks are the slave clearing houses

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123