Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Electrician thinking of returning to SA

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Thanks

Electrician thinking of returning to SA

Hi, I am new at this forum and live in UK. Working as electrician and thinking of coming back. Do you think one can still make a living? What are the rates you people asking nowadays?

Thanks
    Your question would be the same as me asking how much people earn in the UK. It depends on where you are in SA (JHB generally has higher salaries), what you're qualified as and what experiance you have as well as how motivated you are. What electrical qualifications do you have? What type of electrical work do you do and are you self employed?

Thanks
    I am self employed and concentrate on domestic & commercial. Normally we work on minimum £25 per hour for maintenance and small installations plus materials which gives me x 16.5 = R415ph. That obviously includes any certificates when needed. Is that what you people are charging your customers?

Thanks
    Most guys ask about R350

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by successmad View Post
    Hi, I am new at this forum and live in UK. Working as electrician and thinking of coming back. Do you think one can still make a living? What are the rates you people asking nowadays?
    See attachment
    Attached Files Attached Files
    Apparently there is nothing that cannot happen today.

Thanks
    Thank you very much. It gives me an very good idea.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    I did a rough calculation today. The going rate for a double socket outlet here is around R450 installed connected and COC issue.

I have started doing service sheets for callout to keep better records.

So today I get a call to install 1 x double socket outlet. Not a breakdown, so no callout rate.

I left the office at 8 am to try miss the traffic, got to site at 8.35, took a few measurements and planned the route etc.
    Left site at 8.50 and headed to the wholesaler to collect materials, got there at around 9.10, ordered the stuff paid and collected at 9.30, back on site at 9.50,
    installed 2 lengths of 25 x 16 trunking ran 10 metres of 2.5 mm twin +e and connected in the DB. Finished installing the 4x4 extention box, connected and tested. Packed up and left site at 10.30.

How on earth do you install a plug for R450?

Something to consider is I use laser levels a battery hilti TE 7 which is fitted with a hilti dust extractor or the hilti GX 120 to set my saddles if I use piping, so there is no mess to clean up marks to clean up etc, I use a battery Hilti to drill the holes for glands etc so there is no wasting time with extention cables etc. So my time is cut to the absolute bare minimum. It is still impossible to install a plug for R450. If I still had to do a COC for the new plug that would be at least another r15 to 20 min filling out a form which was half filled in at the office.

Cost 2 hours labour + materials , more than R1000.

Maybe Bergie from the Cape who works at a lot cheaper rates can tell us if it is possible to do a plug install for R450.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The best part about doing the COC correct is it makes life a whole lot easier for you in the long run and saves the customer money.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The best part about doing the COC correct is it makes life a whole lot easier for you in the long run and saves the customer money.
    I am very particular who I work for.
    I insist on my price and when I get that I insist on the customer being present during the inspection, even if he has to take a day off work.
    There is no worse duty than to have to try and convince someone that the plug they have been using the past 5 years is illegal...over the phone.
    I must admit I dislike doing COC's because of the customers attitude towards it, I could do without the insults.
    So when I actually do one its on my terms. Works for me.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i also dislike doing domestic coc's. the owner has been there 20 years ,added a lot of illegal connections,now he must pay up when he moves out.all he sees is his profit getting less. i prefer not to have the owner there,following you around arguing every point. " but its worked fine for all these years"
    and when the new owner moves in,god forbid he finds an old socket outlet that now becomes faulty only after testing was done. they expect a guarantee as if the house is new.
    if the seller called us before the new owner sees the house then you can strip out all those garden lights ,security lights wired with cabtyre and taped connectors.
    even while testing i have had circuit breakers failing,now i am forced to replace it for free.no thanks
    factory inspections are much better,more money, less stress.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast