Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Electrician thinking of returning to SA

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Ja but you see if you touch the fence and get shocked, you don't die, therefor you can pay more for the COC
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    Thinking in or out the box is what I am trying to do at the moment. I need to change the way I think or at least look at the way things are done at the moment and mean for everything, from simple things like driving to the shop right through to life insurance policies.

For example, simple things like is endowment policies or savings the way to go or is it not wiser to invest money in yourself and or other companies rather than making old mutual and the likes rich, then having to listen to the sob stories about why your money didn't get the return they told you when you took it out.

Clubbing in and getting a motor cycle on the road with a delivery fella to run those silly errands or collect item for site, etc.

From young we are programed to think in a specific manner, ie take out life insurance, put your money in the bank etc, because it is just the way it is done, then you have a motor vehicle accident and have to claim, to find after many years of paying that there is a clause which was put in the hospital policy which doesn't cover your arms and legs (don't joke this is a fact) then to find that because of the broker loading life insurance to ever policy for your kids education to your endowment policy so because you are physically disable and cant work for a couple of years you loose all the money you paid into the policies (fact I talk from experience)

So I am just starting to think a little different, be it simple things or more complicated.

This plug socket price is just one of the many things which affect my turnover and profit margins and at the end of the day, ultimately is the deciding factor of if I can go on holiday or sit at home because I cant afford it.

Other things to which come to mind, do I rent or own my property, do I live in a house or complex also affecting my business, in a house I run my business from home with restriction, having staff in and out my property which increase my security risks, so I stump the growth of the business or live in a complex get rid of my animals and run my business from a factory and pay out but grow the business.

decisions...decisions...decisions

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    STAY AWAY DON"T COME BACK!!!

Today a man just stopped in the middle of the road nearly causing an accident. Then he provoked me so I stopped and guess who the police nearly arrested. ME not the person with no numberplates on his car. Don't ever come back.
    peace is a state of mind
    Disclaimer: everything written by me can be considered as fictional.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by TAP View Post
    Why don’t we all have a fixed rate instead of creating a cut throat business out there, just look at electric fence industry a person does a three day COC course and charges R800 for an inspection that take ±10 minutes with no complaints from the client. But an estate agent is only willing to pay R 500 to R750 for dwelling COC
    I charge on a sliding scale from R850 upwards depending on the size of the electrical installation.
    The price is determined after the inspection.
    This sorts the greedy from the bottom feeders which suits me just fine.
    A house, 3 bedroom with pool etc, would be about R1200 t0 R1500.
    If someone is willing to pay this then you know they are serious about getting a legit certificate and I can work with that.
    I get enough to keep me busy.
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    We are all making a living otherwise we would not be on this forum.
    Working for someone else will not bring many rewards, you would need to open a business
    To make a mistake is human, to learn from that mistake is knowledge and knowledge is strength.

Diamond Member
    Thanks
    The best part about doing the COC correct is it makes life a whole lot easier for you in the long run and saves the customer money.

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by ians View Post
    The best part about doing the COC correct is it makes life a whole lot easier for you in the long run and saves the customer money.
    I am very particular who I work for.
    I insist on my price and when I get that I insist on the customer being present during the inspection, even if he has to take a day off work.
    There is no worse duty than to have to try and convince someone that the plug they have been using the past 5 years is illegal...over the phone.
    I must admit I dislike doing COC's because of the customers attitude towards it, I could do without the insults.
    So when I actually do one its on my terms. Works for me.

Email problem
    Thanks
    i also dislike doing domestic coc's. the owner has been there 20 years ,added a lot of illegal connections,now he must pay up when he moves out.all he sees is his profit getting less. i prefer not to have the owner there,following you around arguing every point. " but its worked fine for all these years"
    and when the new owner moves in,god forbid he finds an old socket outlet that now becomes faulty only after testing was done. they expect a guarantee as if the house is new.
    if the seller called us before the new owner sees the house then you can strip out all those garden lights ,security lights wired with cabtyre and taped connectors.
    even while testing i have had circuit breakers failing,now i am forced to replace it for free.no thanks
    factory inspections are much better,more money, less stress.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    I see a T & Cs looming with the service of providing a COC, which the owner must read, understand, accept and sign stating so. Will save a lot of future headaches
    Victor - Knowledge is a blessing or a curse, your current circumstances make you decide!
    Solar pumping, Solar Geyser & Solar Security lighting solutions - www.microsolve.co.za

Silver Member
    Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Justloadit View Post
    I see a T & Cs looming with the service of providing a COC, which the owner must read, understand, accept and sign stating so. Will save a lot of future headaches
    That's right. Before starting my inspection my customers sign a form which has details of how the process and pricing works. Saves a lot of problems.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123