Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Reflections on the big question

Thanks

Reflections on the big question

I have a predisposition towards historical, psychological and philosophical literature. My interest lies in the human condition, a condition brought to light most advantageously through the above. Philosophy is a concluding agent, conclusions based on our self/history/science (An active depository). Metaphysics is the top tier of knowledge, always unknowable. Our ultimate conclusions lay on a bi-polar scale (Right-Wrong) with a somewhat consensual medium and an unknowable centre point layered with multiple dimensions, consensus is possible but objectivity and ultimate truth is not. Subjective thought and speculation are our tools to probe objectivity and come to tentative conclusions – about existence.

We are naturally inclined to believe we have the most plausible conclusions because we are the current-modern reflectors, however history relentlessly changes the possibilities whilst alive, after life it will produce the unthinkable. Science fiction becomes reality.

We speculate about our existence, an existence we will probably never understand. Then comes the question of religion. Personally I don’t prescribe to a formal religion (I was brought up in formal religion). I feel a sense of something being responsible somewhere along the line, however I keep a small compartmentalised section open for the possibility of “no big plan” – accidental existence. This dichotomy is only possible because I know I will never know, so I hedge my bets.

As a matter of prudence the big questions are superseded by important pursuits and questions. Stripping printers – practicalities of life...the physical...survival...the day to day. Animal and man, man-animal trying to survive in its habitat.

We are smart animals, the only animal to question its existence...gifted, but an animal nun the less
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Platinum Member sterne.law@gmail.com's Avatar
    Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Also the only species that spends billions of dollars and many hours trying to find ways to kill ourselves quicker.
    Anthony Sterne

www.acumenholdings.co.za
    DISCLAIMER The above is merely a comment in discussion form and an open public arena. It does not constitute a legal opinion or professional advice in any manner or form.

Thanks
    Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pmbguy View Post

We are smart animals, the only animal to question its existence...gifted, but an animal nun the less
    I would agree with defining man as an animal, but I would disagree about defining man as smart, based on the condition the world is in, due to mans influence. Trees provide us with oxygen, what the heck lets chop them down. I would describe man as an animal that is specialized in the creation of tools, and with every tool we create it evolves our brains. Why did these tools, evolve us to the point where we question our existence or define ourselves as higher then other animals, I believe it is because the very first tool man created and bonded with was a weapon, a simple stick used as weapon. Over the years we have evolved this simple stick into the war heads we have to date, and it has evolved us into the beings we are today. This simple tool changed everything, and defines who we are to this day.

4. Thank given for this post:

adrianh (13-Feb-14), KristiKat (01-Mar-14)

Thanks
    Metaphysics is something else hey! First you must have a sound understanding of ancient Greek thinking to the Likes of Plato, Aristotle, Saint Thomas Aquinas.

These are all metaphysical thinkers. They all believed in a God. Aristotle’s God had a name and description. His key component structurally was that this God was tasked to think about his very own thinking!! He was/is a manual labour according to Aristotle who created the world and universe from his labour.

The Saint, but of course: He’s a Bible man. A character indeed! Upon failing an exam his professors called him ‘dumb Ox,” but they added that someday he would influence the thinking of mankind immensely. He believe that the only way to serve God properly is to be taught to do so. He believes in human laws. They believes that even if these laws are right or wrong, they nonetheless laws which should be followed. He was a Professor of the Old Testament, it was the primary work he taught. You can’t leave out your ‘modern philosophy,’ so you must also appreciate John Rawls, Dworkin, Thomas Hobbes, and my favourite John Locke! Hobbes believed that there was nothing metaphysically and that when you die you die[talk about having a civil talk, look at the way the ANC reacted so terribly towards another people the DA]. There had to have been problems in his equation according to the way he thinks. Inertia, the sledge moves across a piece of ice: The question is not what caused the moving but whatever that stopped it!

Rawls, a character indeed! He wanted you have an ability to theoretically creates many societies and eventually chose from one of them. His main question: What is a fair way to cut a cake? What is the fair way to divide the cake…

Bob Marley a philosophy himself: When asked whether one could successfully copy reggae music outside of Jamaica, he’s response was ‘You can copy it, BUT there’s no copy to it. Me explain to musician, him know it but him can’t do it!
    When it was put to him but hey you do engage in certain illegal activity, his response was ,” All law is illegal! All governments are illegitimate. All governments on the face of this Earth is illegal! There is only God”

…..just my 2 thoughts…
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Perhaps the human is not supposed be. From the very first second we are born, something is there trying to ensure our demise. If its not humans themselves, its other animals, plants, insects, the weather, earthquakes, lightning and tsunami's etc.

Besides its technology, the human race does not seem to have developed much over all these years. Not very smart at all.
    The cost of living hasn't affected its popularity.
    Sponsored By: http://www.honeycombhouse.com

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Perhaps the human is not supposed be. From the very first second we are born, something is there trying to ensure our demise. If its not humans themselves, its other animals, plants, insects, the weather, earthquakes, lightning and tsunami's etc.

Besides its technology, the human race does not seem to have developed much over all these years. Not very smart at all.
    There's no argument there! Mankind were and are a poor manager of this Earth!
    Last edited by Citizen X; 13-Feb-14 at 08:17 AM. Reason: typo
    “Ubuntu is the essence of being humane" Desmond Tutu
    Spelling mistakes and/or typographical errors I found in leading publications.
    Click here
    sabbaticus

Thanks
    Perhaps we will be labelled by alien anthropology as the “greedy ape”. One thing to consider is that we may be stuffing up earth with our smartness, perhaps even rendering it un-inhabitable, however without human thought we, nor any other earth life can escape the long-term demise of the earth. We are the only entity to extend earth life after earth, a corrupted saviour of sorts.
    It is not the strongest of the species that survive, nor the most intelligent, but the one most responsive to change. – Charles Darwin

Thanks
    We are the only entity to extend earth life after earth, a corrupted saviour of sorts.
    Not sure what you are saying here.

I think Earth will do its own thing with or without us.

Thanks

lol

Name:  aliens.jpg
Views: 626
Size:  7.3 KB

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by Marq View Post
    Not sure what you are saying here.

I think Earth will do its own thing with or without us.
    Consider the capability of leaving earth as the most important long term goal – evolutionary speaking. If we can move and plot the earth with technology we may stay longer, but something will come up eventually and we got to get off the island.
    The sun will eventually absorb the earth, if something else does not happen before that. So the long term survival of the earth as a celestial entity will seize at some point. Human beings probably represent the only way for any earth life-form to leave earth and survive elsewhere. Potentially speaking we can get out of dodge and survive, taking flora and fauna with us (many life forms in us, on us, and we can bring some rhino along if we keen).

Think of it as natural conservation

Page 1 of 7 123 ... LastLast