Thread: Using Pastel remotely

Thanks

Using Pastel remotely

We have a Pastel Partner in the office/shop

I am going to open another shop in another town.

Now what must I do now? Can the other shop connect directly to our server and use the same data?
    Or must the shop runs its own books and just update to the main installation?

Both shops use ADSL lines.
    Only Dead Fish go with the Flow
    http://www.4x4direct.co.za/

Thanks
    Quote Originally Posted by pietpetoors View Post
    We have a Pastel Partner in the office/shop

I am going to open another shop in another town.

Now what must I do now? Can the other shop connect directly to our server and use the same data?
    Or must the shop runs its own books and just update to the main installation?

Both shops use ADSL lines.
    You need to get a fixed IP address and then connect via VPN. (its also greek to me) I use LogMeIN Hamachi to have a fixed IP on my server (Home) and my client (Warehouse). Once you are correctly connected with Hamachi you will see your server machine in the networK directory of your client machine. I must warn you that it is very slow. I would suggest that your two shops run separate books for security and accountability reasons and for ease of use. Im no expert but hope this helps.

Thanks
    HiAs PM32 says you can connect through a VPN (Virtual Private Network) type connection but accessing your accounting database across the net in this way will be very slow. You can use software such as Hamachi's LogMeIn or OpenVPN.A better way to go about this though would be to setup a remote desktop connection to your server so that the database is being accessed locally when working on Pastel. Setting up an RDP (Remote Desktop Protocal) type connection you would need either a fixed IP or dyndns address from a company such as Dyn - which you can find at dyndns.org (Paid Service). A dyndns address will basically create a static URL that updates your dynamic IP in the background as and when it changes. Once that has been setup up you would need to forward ports within your router (TCP port 3389) to the Pastel server where RDP has been enabled.

Thanks
    Thanx a million, I will investigate those options.

Thanks
    You're welcome

Thanks
    I eventually got time to do this. I am testing hamachi at the moment. Something I find strange;
    I thought pastel is only getting the data from the main pc/server, but t seems like it is getting the complete window your work in from there.. If I open my locally installed pastel it first of all takes long to load the window where I open a company. Then the program is open, if I for example want to edit inventory file, if i click edit, the dropdown is there immediately and if I go to inventory/item file the drop down reacts immediately, because it is a local program, but then if I click "item file" the window in which you have to work takes ages to open. The same happens when you want to create an invoice, the menu reacts fast but the window takes long to open.

This is not even yet when you want to search for or select a product, this is sommer net the window that takes long to open even before you started to select something.

If I use my same setup at the office where I connect via my LAN then those windows opens quickly, sometimes there is a slight delay if I search for a product but at last the windows open quicly

Is there a ay one can change this?

Thanks
    Neil you said
    A better way to go about this though would be to setup a remote desktop connection to your server so that the database is being accessed locally when working on Pastel.
    I have 2x computers in shop 2 (CPT ) which have to connect to Pastel to do transaction.
    If I use a remote desktop connection will both of them plus the 2x in the local office be able to all work together at the same time?

Is a remote desktop connection something like TeamViewer?

Thanks

rdp solution for remote desktop for pastel inter branch

[QUOTE=pietpetoors;106331]Neil you said

Hi good friend, I can sort your problem using remote desktop solution over
    telkoms adsl line. One pastel company, multiple users can work of it concurrently(local or international users.I have done this for 7 companies to date.usa staff access a pastel company in durban north and branch companies work from pe and gauteng on durban north server..works like a well oiled
    machine, I am in durban though.give me a call should you not come right ben 0769745877
    warm regards.

Thanks

Need some help

Quote Originally Posted by Neil Harris View Post
    HiAs PM32 says you can connect through a VPN (Virtual Private Network) type connection but accessing your accounting database across the net in this way will be very slow. You can use software such as Hamachi's LogMeIn or OpenVPN.A better way to go about this though would be to setup a remote desktop connection to your server so that the database is being accessed locally when working on Pastel. Setting up an RDP (Remote Desktop Protocal) type connection you would need either a fixed IP or dyndns address from a company such as Dyn - which you can find at dyndns.org (Paid Service). A dyndns address will basically create a static URL that updates your dynamic IP in the background as and when it changes. Once that has been setup up you would need to forward ports within your router (TCP port 3389) to the Pastel server where RDP has been enabled.
    Neil,

Can you shed some more light on this dyndns dark magic. I don't mind signing up for it. Just want to get this working. I have one staff member who needs to work on Pastel remotely and don't want to go the server or cloud routes if I don't need to